Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yamaha Motif XS8

Hey watsup guys...i am getting serious trouble with running my Motif keyboard into logic. I began having trouble getting my mic to work and now that i finally got logic recognizing my mic, i now am trying to get my keyboard to work. Overall, I could get logic to recognize it and get my keyboard to work thru it in a way, but when i try to bounce out the beat that i made with my motif, nothing...not even a sound comes out of itunes when i play it back. No such signal even shows...please guys i really need help, and i am in desperate need. Can you guys direct me in the right path?

Mac Mini

Posted on Jan 10, 2008 8:56 PM

6 replies

Jan 11, 2008 11:38 AM in response to clangwork

I have a mobil Pre M-Audio Interface connected via USB to my mac. My condensor mic is connected to my interface, and my motif is as well connected to my mac mini thru USB. It all works in garageband, and the mic signal and the motif keyboard is all recognized in garageband. I am farely new to the logic program, so if you could help me out somehow and point my in the right direction I would be so greatful...

Jan 11, 2008 1:09 PM in response to WeSs-Ley

OK, it's not so short but I'll try!

First of all in Logic there are three track types: audio, virtual instruments and MIDI.

Audio is for... audio, virtual instruments tracks are MIDI tracks addressed to internal VI, MIDI tracks are... MIDI tracks 🙂 but their output is forwarded to external instruments.

1. If you want to record the sounds from the Motif you should patch the XS audio output into the mobilepre and assign one stereo or 2 mono audio tracks in Logic.

2. To play VI from the Yamaha you have to assign any Logic Instrument to a VI track and link the Motif MIDI to that track.

3. If you want to record some MIDI sequences using the Motif sounds MIDI tracks are the right choice: be careful, to record those sounds read 1.

Now let's go to the XS8.

If you choose to use the firewire interface (after downloaded and installed the drivers) you will have audio AND MIDI going straight forward from the Motif to the Mac and all remaining inside digital domain.

With this configuration you could:

1. record directly the Motif into an audio track;
2. use the XS keyboard to record notes for Logic VIs;
3. record MIDI tracks to drive the keyboard and later record its sounds into an audio track (1.).

I'm a little tired so I can't be clearer for now but give a try and if you have other doubts write again.

cheers

rob

Feb 29, 2008 6:56 PM in response to WeSs-Ley

Hey,
I have the XS8 also. I bought them not too long ago might be 3 weeks. I will be hooking it up to Logic 8 this weekend. I have read the manual from Yamaha. When press the REMOTE button on XS8 logic will then takes control or vice versa to the Yamaha.

For the money that you already spent on the XS8. I urge you to read the XS8 manual. Or wait for me, I will let you know by Sunday or so.

Cheers.

Yamaha Motif XS8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.