Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Delete Shared Computer Names in Finder?!?

I recently erased and installed 2 of my machines with leopard. While setting them up I had changed some names, reinstalled a few times, etc...

Problem: Old names of computers that don't exist or are not even turned on show up in the "Shared" section of finder.

Tried: Wiped completely(zeroing drives) and reinstalled Leopard, but the same names still show up! Also completely reset airport and reuploaded firmware.I have tried renaming my computers to the old names that keep showing up and toggling on/off BTMM and sign in/out .mac, both with sharing, etc. on/off, and using different firewall settings.I have located a folder on my idisk with the same # of "syndication ids" as there are shared computer names, but have no permission(only.mac does) I have attempted to resolve this issue with .mac support via chat(they told me to call 1800) and email(I haven't recieved a reply, its been 2 weeks).

Theory: At some point I think these names were copied to the .mac servers as BTMM machines. Unfortunately, Apple has not given .mac users a way to unregister or clear these computers.(Similar to the way you can unregister machines for Sync, or deauthorize computer for itunes)
But I'm hoping someone here has figured out a way to reset this info. I am no expert but there must be a simple way to reset this info, via Mdns or through resetting my .mac account.

I have also tried to get my account transferred to a new .mac trial account, but they said because I used an authorization key to activate my .mac, they could not do it.(only if I had renewed...which seems suspect to me)Mind you I 've been a .mac member for years...

So in Conclusion, I have a bad taste in my mouth from .mac support, and a bunch of shared names that reference non existent computers, that I am stuck with(some of which have names of people I do not want advertised on my network)... Any help from my friends,peers, incognito apple employees?

🙂

Primary: 15"2.4 MBP(SR) Secondary:G5 Dual 2.5+many,many, more computers and asso, Mac OS X (10.5.1), Currently Triple Booting OSX, Vista, Ubuntu

Posted on Jan 11, 2008 7:25 AM

5 replies

Mar 9, 2008 5:24 PM in response to Shaun Rosenberg

Solution :

I had the same problem here with 10.5.2 and there is a solution.
You need to clear your connexion cache.

- Under Network preference, Disable your ethernet ou airport device that is connected to your network
- Under Network preference, clic Advenced Then delete your current Prefered Network
- Relaunch the finder (option clic on the finder icone until the menu come)
- Then relaunch your Connection.

It should work

Can't Delete Shared Computer Names in Finder?!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.