Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Sympodium drawing tablet and Keynote?

4702 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2008 12:23 PM by macliteratus RSS
Mike Kaplan Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jan 12, 2008 10:48 AM
Hi folks,

I've been using a drawing tablet to liven up presentations and I'm having trouble getting it to work with Keynote. In a different room, they had one (a "Sympodium" drawing tablet, which is an LCD screen that lets you draw right on the screen) and it was set up to work with the Windows machine, where it worked very well with the otherwise nasty Powerpoint. This is a fabulous thing that lets you draw right on top of slides while showing them, clearing the screen when you advance to the next slide but retaining your drawings if you go back, and simultaneously recording your entire presentations as a quicktime file.

The only problem is, I can't get it to work with Keynote, which I prefer to powerpoint in almost every respect. Has anyone else tried this, or does anyone have any info about getting this to work?

Thanks,
-mk
Macbook Pro 17" 2.33 Ghz intel, Mac OS X (10.5.1), keynote 08
  • Kyn Drake Level 7 Level 7 (21,460 points)
    Jan 12, 2008 3:10 PM (in response to Mike Kaplan)
    Did you check the Keynote Preferences? Go to Keynote's Slideshow preferences pane and check the "Allow Exposé, Dashboard and others to use screen" option and see if that works for you.
    MacBook Pro 2.16, Mac OS X (10.4.10), 2 Gig RAM - 1 GHz TiBook 1 Gig RAM
  • Tom Gewecke Level 9 Level 9 (70,845 points)
    Jan 12, 2008 3:56 PM (in response to Mike Kaplan)
    I think any tablet requires driver software and you may want to check the product site to see if any is available for Mac. I see some here but don't know which if any is right:

http://www2.smarttech.com/st/en-US/Support/Downloads/
    iMac Intel/2C2D, eMac G4/700 10.5, 10.4, 10.3, 9.2, Mac OS X (10.5)
  • Dave Althoff Level 4 Level 4 (1,120 points)
    Jan 13, 2008 12:46 PM (in response to Mike Kaplan)
    The features you are describing are features of the SMART Notebook software that is the underlying driver for the Sympodium. The Sympodium, incidentally, is functionally identical to the touch-sensitive SMART board, but more useful when the projection screen is larger than about 5'.

Anyway, first make sure you have the SMART software installed on your machine. Get it from www.smarttech.com; they have a very liberal license policy (as long as your organization has at least one of their hardware products, you can use the software). You'll also have to connect the Sympodium to your computer via USB. I know that in the classroom I just built, I provided a VGA connector and an audio connector for users laptops, but no USB connector for the Sympodium; that's "permanently" wired to "my" computer. You'll need a USB A->B cable (with the square connector on one end) to hook to the port on the left-hand side of the Sympodium.

I've not yet used the Sympodium with Keynote, but I imagine you probably have to tell Keynote to share the display for your annotations to show up. We're getting a dual-boot Mac Mini for the classroom that has the Sympodium; once that is up and running, I'll experiment with it.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
    1000 MHz dual G4 (MDD 'leaf blower'); 12" PB G4 1500 MHz
  • Bob Mcinnis Calculating status...
    Feb 8, 2008 8:52 AM (in response to Mike Kaplan)
    Mike,

I just purchased a Wacom Cintiq tablet and am wondering if you'd be willing to share how you managed to draw on a keynote screen once "Allow Expose, Dashboard, and others to use screen in Keynote".

I've checked it off but still can't seem to write on the screen. Is there another setting I need to change/turn on somewhere?

Thanks

Bob
    Powerbook G4, Mac OS X (10.4)
  • Bob Mcinnis Level 2 Level 2 (315 points)
    Feb 21, 2008 10:32 PM (in response to Mike Kaplan)
    I'm having no luck writing on top of my Keynote presentations using a Wacom Cintiq tablet. It seems any time I activate a 3rd party screen drawing program, my Keynote presentation gets minimized to the dock.

If nobody has actually been able to write on a Keynote screen, perhaps someone could tell me what drawing program might be out there that I could swith out of Keynote and use that perhaps fills up the whole screen without a lot of menus and tool bars. I'm just looking to use it as an electronic flip chart.

Thanks! Bob
    Powerbook G4, Mac OS X (10.4)
  • wve Rich Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Mar 16, 2008 10:51 AM (in response to Bob Mcinnis)
    3 requests:
    1. I too would like to know if there's any software that would allow the use of a Wacom tablet (Intuos) to write on screen during a Keynote presentation (even if it does not allow SAVING the annotations). This would be SO useful for all kinds of lectures and presentations.

2. Add to #1 the ability to SAVE the annotations.

3. Is there any software that can be used in conjunction with Keynote and a Wacom tablet that would allow writing on-screen (for projection purposes)--switching back & forth between Keynote and whatever?

There has GOT to be a market for this kind of functionality. I can't believe that it's so difficult to find a solution for this need.
    MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.2), 2.2 GHz; 2 GB RAM
  • macliteratus Calculating status...
    Apr 22, 2008 12:23 PM (in response to Bob Mcinnis)
    Scriboard will do the trick. Download it at: http://mac.softpedia.com/get/DTP-Prepress/Scriboard.shtml
    iMAC, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.