Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone using a DBT-120revC1 on BOTH X and OS9?

Just started using the latest rev (C1) of the DBT-120 on OS X--works lovely, both keyboard and mouse paired flawlessly--and with no sw installation required. Now I want the same functionality on OS9 (not Classic) which is on another volume. From what I've read, I will need to install something, but its not clear what: firmware updater 1.02 and/or 1.5?

My greatest fear is destroying OSX bluetooth functionality by enabling it in OS9 via a firmware update (it'll want to see the DBT-120, right?)

I'm a bit confused as to what firmware is updated with what updater: the OS? the DBT? Either or both?

Can anyone advise me how I should move forward before I start experimenting/destroying something? Thanks!

'Gigabit' G4/1.4GHz (accel), 1Gig RAM, Mac OS X (10.4.3), iSight, DI-604 router, 17" Apple flat display

Posted on Jan 13, 2008 11:11 AM

5 replies

Jan 13, 2008 12:45 PM in response to xmiinc

Firstly, Apple hasn't released any firmware updates for the D-Link DBT-120 for a long time, so your current Rev C1 adapter will almost certainly have a more recent firmware than any you can get from Apple.

I would strongly suggest NOT attempting to update the firmware of your Rev C1 D-Link, as (if it works) you'll actually end up downgrading it (or destroying it)!

Secondly, Mac OS 9 doesn't have any Bluetooth Support. So, unless you can find any third-party drivers, you won't be able to use Bluetooth in OS 9.

There are no separate Bluetooth Updaters for Mac OS X 10.4.x - they have all been rolled in general Mac OS Updates for a long time. If you attempt to install any of the older Bluetooth Updates available from Apple Downloads on your current system (10.4.3 if your signature is correct), then you'll almost certainly break something.

Jan 13, 2008 1:20 PM in response to Julian Wright

Thanks, Julian...yeh, I understood about revC1 having an autoboot capability not requiring any updating in OSX. But I'm reading about folks using bluetooth in OS9. I'm beginning to think earlier versions of the DBT-120 requiring a firmware upgrade--would work in OS9 because of the firmware. Now that I have the revC, it would appear I've lost that bit of Apple's 0S9 functionality that was deemed no longer necessary. doh.

Perhaps buying a second, older version of the DBT, which could be flashed in OSX but paired with mouse and keyboard in OS9, would do the trick? I'd then have two concurrent USB BT sticks installed. One would be disabled in each OS. Should work, right? It'd be worth another $30 to get BT in OS9. --Tom

Jan 13, 2008 4:56 PM in response to xmiinc

I couldn't say whether an older DBT-120 would work in OS 9. As OS 9 has no Bluetooth drivers I've no idea what it would allow you to do.

I've read about an updated D-Link DBT-120 allowing a keyboard and mouse to be 'seen' by OS 9 as HID devices via Bluetooth - but that's all. Whether or not the keyboard and mouse actually work is another matter - presumably they would still need drivers of some sort to work fully, or at all.

There seems to be very little else you can do with Bluetooth on OS 9 as the operating system has no support for it. That was first added in Mac OS X 10.2 I believe...

What specifically are you hoping to do with Bluetooth in OS 9?

Jan 13, 2008 5:25 PM in response to Julian Wright

Right , something in the firmware update (on pre-revC1 DBT-120 dongles) was fooling OS9 into seeing a mouse and kbd as standard USB HID's. A developer working on just such a solution 'laments' this capability upon discovering it in 2005 (he stopped his development because of it).

As for my wanting to use BT in OS9: I'm one of those people who has a legacy tool (Studiovision Pro, an Opcode Systems music sequencer that stopped development in 1999 when the company was folded into Gibson Guitars, and subsequently dropped from active support) that I'm still not ready to give up on if I don't have to. I'm about to get introduced to Garageband (I hear good things), but I have years of production experience in - not to mention content from - this old app. BT access to its GUI would just be amazing! In any case, thanks for you input, Julian. Based on my informed hunch, I just purchased a revB4 version of the DBT-120. This one should take the firmware update. And if all goes according to plan, it should make Apple's wireless mouse and keyboard visible to OS9.

I'll report back my experiences when it arrives.--Tom

Jan 21, 2008 8:37 AM in response to Julian Wright

As promised, I return with my 'findings':
1. Bluetooth connectivity DOES work in OS9 but...
2. You need to find a pre-revC1 DBT-120. Having said this (and done so), I haven't gone the extra mile and actually tried to flash the revC1 module with Apple's Firmware Update 1.2. I'm just regurgitating what I've read on other forums about the revC1 being 'un-updateable'.

Having gotten ahold of a revB4, it still took me a day and a half to figure out how to flash the thing. Long story short: the Firmware Update is *Panther Only*--specifically 10.3.7 as Apple no longer supplies ComboUpdate-10.3.6, the stated requirement for the updater. [Chalk one up for the utility of keeping an all-purpose 15gig partition on my 120gig HD!] Trying to flash the DBT-120 with the firmware update from Tiger failed repeatedly. Luckily, I already had an old 10.3.4 OS disk and just had to run the comboupdater on that install.

So, to get OS9 Bluetooth, get a revB2-B4 DBT-120 module (talk about a niche market on eBay!), install a minimal version of Panther (10.3.7 to be exact), and run the Bluetooth Firmware 1.2 updater. In my case, I'd already paired my mouse/keyboard before doing this, but I don't think that matters. In fact, I inadvertantly ran the updater from my wireless m/k. In OSX it duly disconnected upon updating the firmware, and reconnected upon completion.

Sure enough, in OS9 the BT-wireless devices work! Two things are missing, however: you can't use the Option key to choose between startup volumes, IOW you'll need to get used to using the Startup CP's again. No biggie for me. The other thing missing in OS9 that is great in OSX is trackball scrolling. Also no biggie for me. Just being able to use wireless tech in OS9 is good enough, and when you think about it, is an expected consequence of the updater 'fooling' the OS into seeing standard USB HID's. Back in 2004 I don't believe Apple made a mouse with trackball, so Apple had no reason to accommodate that in OS9 for its own gear. On the other hand, there is one benefit you get with the firmware update that you don't get with the revC1 module (mentioned many times in this forum): Keyboard wake from Sleep.

So, I'm out a total of $50 for two DBT-120's but with OS9 Bluetooth enabled I'm a happy camper! Hope this helps any others seeking OS9 or Wake-From-Sleep functionality.--Tom

Anyone using a DBT-120revC1 on BOTH X and OS9?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.