Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xcode: how to debugging a dynamic link library

Hi:

I am working with an scientific analysis package called "root". The way it work is that one creates his own analysis packages as dynamic link libraries (I guess Apple calls them bundles) which are loaded at run time to the root-executable.

Using Xcode, how can I start the "root"-executable (which I got as binary only), load the dynamic link library (made with excode) and debug it ?

In linux, I would just start gdb "root.exe" and go from there.

I understand the gdb is the underlying debugger in Xcode, isn't it ? So I guess my problem is how do I start a "foreign" program in Xcode ?

Thanks for help.

Cheers,
Frank

Posted on Oct 27, 2005 8:50 AM

2 replies

Oct 27, 2005 12:25 PM in response to Frank Laue

Welcome to Apple Discussions, Frank.

If you open a terminal window, and navigate to the right directory, you should be able to start gdb the same way you are familiar with (gdb "<executable file>"). I know this may not be what you want ultimately, but I thought it might get you started until someone else answers your specific question.

Do you have a binary executable file for "root" which will run on the Mac?

Xcode: how to debugging a dynamic link library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.