Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

EZdrummer installation madness..

I am running Leopard with Logic 8.01. Having previously used EZdrummer extensively with Cubase on my PC before, I decided to install it on my iMac to use with Logic.

I tried installing version 1.0, and the two other updates, I tried installing some of the add-on packs, I've basically tried EVERYTHING and the main problem is that NOTHING gets installed with any of the installers. No traces of "toontrack" or "ezdrummer" if I do a search on my HD. No plugin files in the library. No sample files. NOTHING. I've tried re-installing, un-installing, repairing disk permissions, etc.. Searched some forums and found out I might have to move a few files but of course, nothing is installed on my HD. Are any of these hidden or am I simply stupid? I've never had this happen to me with any other app with a mac before, this is just getting ridiculous. And yes, obviously when I open Logic 8 there is no trace of EZdrummer in the AU list.

Help me out please...

Imac 24inch Aluminum Model, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Jan 13, 2008 7:39 PM

17 replies

Jan 13, 2008 10:32 PM in response to HenryRollins

I have ezdrummer 1.1.0 installed on my PPC G5... Is 1.0 universal binary? not familar with Imac, is that intel?... Check for compatability of plugin.

Run disk permissions, and disk warrior. EZ drummer is an an easy install...nothing is hidden. componants should be in main library/audio/plugins/components/ and data in main library/application support/EZdrummer folder. The add-ons probably might not install if they don't see the EZ drummer - that would make sense..

Jan 23, 2008 8:19 AM in response to HenryRollins

I am having the same problem. When I go to install the ezdrummer app, it give me errors. "Install failed. The Installer could not install some files in '/library/application support/digidesign/plug-ins". Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."

Well, I tried contacting them, not heard back. I did searches on the web. Downloaded the 1.1.1 torrent. Not really sure what that did. Tried repair disc and fresh install of Leopard. I am not impressed so far. I agree with HenryRollins, I have not encountered a problem installing anything in the three years I have been using Macs. Can anyone offer any advise as to how to proceed next?

Jan 23, 2008 9:08 AM in response to Jay Christian

Things to try:

1) Install using a different user account.
2) Repair permissions and disk directory on your system disk
3) Contact Toontrack tech. support - they're excellent:
http://www.toontrack.com/contact_support.asp
Or post a message here:
http://www.toontrack.com/forum/tt.aspx?forumid=32

Why are you downloading via a torrent? You should be using the download page in your user account at Toontrack if you're a registered user - you should have already set up that account in order to authorize your software. If you have, you can download Solo and check your installation from there.

Jan 23, 2008 11:28 AM in response to John Alcock

John Alcock, thanks for the reply. I called Apple today and got a response from Toontrack support. We had to start the computer in safe mode to get the program to install. I downloaded the 1.1.1 dmg from the toontrack site after that. The only way I could get the software to authorize the computer I am using was to open Toontrack solo. I logged into the toontrack site. Authorized the product. Now I can only find the Toontrack solo application. When I open Logic, ezdrummer does not appear in my plug in list. Toontrack solo does not allow me to drag and drop midi files into Logic 8. What am I missing now? Is there a ezdrummer 1.1.1 application I should be using.

The only reason I was downloading a torrent was because I was trying anything to make this software install. I do have the account set up with the proper authorization in place. I have not run across this kind of installation complication with any other software.

Where should I be looking for the AU that will bring up ezdrummer in Logic?

Thanks for your help.

Jan 23, 2008 12:00 PM in response to Jay Christian

If correctly installed, you should see the component in:

~/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components/EZDrummer.component

EZD isn't an application - to access it in Logic, select an instrument track in Logic, and in the top slot of the I/O section of the channel strip

User uploaded file

click and hold, and navigate to AU Instruments>Toontrack>EZDrummer>Multi-Channel (or stereo)

That should do it.

From EZD's interface, select 'open grooves', and drag any one to the same instrument track to check it out.

Jan 23, 2008 12:17 PM in response to John Alcock

I am so close I can taste it! Ok, I did everything you said. I installed it. I was able to go to the Macintosh HD - Library/audio/plug-ins/components/EZdrummer.component. Found it. Opened Logic, selected an instrument track, followed the path. Found AU instruments>Toontrack>EZdrummer>Multi-Channel.....selected a groove, drug a sample into Logic. No sound at all. No patterns. No nothing. This has been a long day.

You have given me at least hope that I will be able to use this product. Any other suggestions? Thanks again for your input and wisdom.

Jan 23, 2008 12:25 PM in response to Jay Christian

Try it in the stereo version first (multi-channel requires creating AUX tracks) Let's just see if you can get some noise happening. Make sure that in the lower slot of the I/O section you've selected Output 1-2.

Once you've done that, dragging a groove (or double-clicking on any groove in the EZD window) should get you some drums. Are you getting sound out of Logic with audio tracks or other instruments?

Yes, you're a click or two away 😉

Jan 24, 2008 1:13 PM in response to Jay Christian

Glad it's working - sort of…

What exactly are you trying to drop onto the EZD track? An Apple loop? That won't work - Logic will replace the instrument. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you. There are several ways to get regions on to the EZD instrument track:
1) Pencil the notes in via the piano roll.
2) Use the grooves from within EZD
3) Play them using a keyboard or drum pads
4) Hook up an eDrum kit.

If you could describe what MIDI data you're trying to use - your question is a bit confusing as MIDI is data, not samples. Where are these MIDI regions coming from?

EZdrummer installation madness..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.