Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Generic Canon Printer Driver

Hi there - I have just purchased a new iMAC with Leopard 10.5.1 and am trying to connect to an existing Canon 8180c multi-function centre. Canon do not appear to make a mac driver for this printer. Does anyone know if there is a generic printer driver for a canon printer that may work??

I appreciate any assistance.

Cheers, Simone Darke

iMAC 7.1, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Jan 13, 2008 10:43 PM

6 replies

Jan 31, 2008 11:58 AM in response to Simone Darke

Regarding zensui's suggestion that you may find your answer on the Canon/Europe page ... True, that is where to find what you need from Canon. But I just looked for what you need and "Canon speaks with forked tongue." On the page where they offer a download for a PDF Advanced Guide for the 8180C ( http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0026356.asp?model=), they specifically DO list "Mac OS X" along with Windows OS's. But once you download the guide and check the specs ( http://software.canon-europe.com/files/soft26356/manual/MF8180CUGEN.PDF), you find a complete listing of the 8180C's specs: No mention of compatibility with Mac OS X.

If you had just bought the MF unit (no pun intended, but accurate nonetheless) I'd say Canon clearly misrepresents the 8180C's OS compatibility: Grounds for a return/refund at minimum (actually constitutes a violation of several states' (USA) consumer protection statutes). But you do say the new Mac joins "an existing" Canon 8180C, so ...

I'll say this: Stuff like this really ***s me off! Enough to track this down, even though it isn't my own issue.

Jan 30, 2008 6:45 PM in response to Simone Darke

Canon states specs for the 8180C as follows:

General Specifications
OS Compatibility
Windows® XP, 2000, Me, 98, Server 2003
Standard Interface
USB 2.0 Hi-Speed
Internal (10/100 Base T)3
Software Included
Canon drivers for Windows®, ScanSoft®, OmniPage® SE (OCR), NewSoft® Presto! PageManager, Canon Remote UI
Power Consumption (approx.)
1100W (Max), 5W (Energy Saver Mode)

Generic Canon Printer Driver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.