Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use my SIM card in another phone temporarily?

Question for you all - I'm new to the GSM world having been a long-time Verizon customer prior to my new Iphone. As such, I really don't know much about SIM cards since CDMA doesn't use them.

Can I use my Iphone SIM card in another phone temporarily? There are situations (like this weekend where I'm going skiing) where I'd like to carry a phone but not the iphone, for obvious reasons.

Can I get a cheapy GMS phone on ebay or somewhere else and take the SIM card out of the Iphone and plug it into the cheap phone?

Thanks in advance!

iPhone 8G, Windows Vista

Posted on Jan 14, 2008 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2008 8:45 AM

Yes, you can use an iPhone SIM in any GSM phone, as long as the other phone is unlocked.
8 replies

Jan 14, 2008 11:17 AM in response to soccerfan1

The Iphone doesn't have a sim card.

The iPhone most certainly does have a SIM card since it is a GSM phone. Verizon has a CDMA network and CDMA phones do not have a SIM card. I believe Verizon now sells/carries a hybrid phone that is a combination CDMA/GSM phone but other than this, you cannot switch SIM cards with a Verizon phone or with any CDMA phone.

Can I use my SIM card in another phone temporarily?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.