Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Power Problems

My MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo 15" (Aug. 2007) recently started powering off (and I mean powering off, not shutting down) abruptly. The battery has charge, and is reasonably healthy (88% after 76 cycles - could be better) but if the power supply is disconnected, the MacBook Pro powers off without warning. If I leave the power supply connected, all is fine.

Now I find that my MacBook Pro won't even start without the power connected. I press the power button, it starts up (there is the briefest of activity) and shuts down almost immediately. I have reset the PRAM and the SMC, and neither have resolved this issue. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo 15", Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Jan 16, 2008 5:36 AM

6 replies

Jan 17, 2008 4:54 PM in response to Goshman

I started having the same problem on my 17" MBO right after I installed Leopard when it came out. I replaced the battery and it was fine until this week, and now it is happening again. I'm taking it to the Apple Store as soon as I can. I strongly suspect it is somehow related to Leopard, but of course I can not prove that.

Feb 11, 2008 8:17 PM in response to AccUser

I am having the exact same issue. I was starting to have battery life issues and decided to "condition" my battery by running it dead and recharging to full. This helped for a day or two, but then my MB Pro's battery wont consistently power the machine and when unplugged. Sometimes it works and sometimes it just shuts down.

I will take this to the local genius bar. Still under warranty.

Apr 8, 2008 9:47 PM in response to AccUser

I had the exact same issue with my battery. I purchased my MBP in April 2007 and in July, it started to just shut off after being charged all night. If I connected the charger, all worked well, but as soon as I unplugged it, it would shut off. I took it to Apple and they replaced the battery free of charge without any problems. When I spoke to the technician, I was told that this is a problem with the MBP batteries, and people frequently have to have them changed after a few months of use. From how you describe your problem, I don't think anything else is wrong, just the battery.

MacBook Pro Power Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.