Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

How do I import .avi video from iPhoto into iMovie?

1061 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2008 9:05 AM by Scott Herman RSS
Scott Herman Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jan 17, 2008 1:15 AM
When I opened iMovie (for the first time) earlier today a window opened asking if I would like to import movies from iPhoto. I did so I clicked the appropriate response. iMovie did not import all the video from iPhoto. I want to import the rest of these .avi videos (from pt & shoot cameras) but can't find a way to do it from within iMovie. The help menu isn't helping as it ignores importing videos from iPhoto. The iMovie support and forums don't seem to address this issue either. Does anyone know an easy way to do this so the imported clips look like the clips already imported from iPhoto?

iMovie 7.1.1 appears to have severe problems. I can't even delete these clips that were imported from iPhoto and again, help, support & discussions don't seem to address these issues.
MacBookPro 2.16, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 2GB RAM
  • Jon Walker Level 6 Level 6 (17,520 points)
    Does anyone know an easy way to do this so the imported clips look like the clips already imported from iPhoto?

Depends on what you mean by "easy." The basic problem is that clips can only be imported to iMovie '08 at the "Finder" level if, and only if, the clip is "edit" compatible. AVI files, for instance, can come in many "flavors." Many manufacturers store their AVI clips either as Motion-JPEG/DVI ADPCM or Motion-JPEG/Unsigned Integer video/audio files. The latter can be imported directly as both Motion-JPEG video and Unsigned Integer audio can be edited by iMovie '08. On the other hand, the DVI ADPCM audio cannot be edited and so these files will not import. In these cases you can either convert the audio and and then replace the original audio with the converted audio. This isn't the easiest method but does preserve the original video quality. The easier method is to use a QT conversion capable application (like QT Pro, iMovie '06, iTunes, GarageBand, etc.) or a third-party converter to convert both audio and video content.

I can't even delete these clips that were imported from iPhoto and again, help, support & discussions don't seem to address these issues.

Deletion is a two-step process to prevent "accidental deletions." First you must mark the clips or segments thereof by "rejecting" them. Then, to actually remove them you must select the "Remove Rejected Clips to Trash" File menu option.

2.0GHz 3GB G5/533MHz 384MB G4 DeskTop/400MHz 384MB G4 Ti PB, Mac OS X (10.5.1), 60GB 5G iPod, 4GB iPhone, Nikon D-70, Nikon CoolPix 990, Sony HDR-HC3
  • Jon Walker Level 6 Level 6 (17,520 points)
    All these .avi files work fine on iMovie HD. I have dragged them directly from iPhoto to iMovie HD. Granted, these 15 files took nearly 20 minutes to import but they did import. The ones that iMovie 7.1.1 did import seemed to import instantly.

You seem to be missing the point that iMovie HD automatically converts the clips to an edit compatible compression formats as part of the import process as needed. Thus, the additional times required for import. iMovie '08, on the other hand, only imports what it can edit "natively." In the case of the iPhoto clips, no import occurs since the "Event Library > iPhoto Videos" event window is actually looking at the videos still stored (and thumbnailed) in iPhoto.

I get the two step process. But I can NOT do it.

Do you really want to delete them? Remember, if you did not physically copy them to an "iMovie Event" folder in iMovie '08, they are still physically stored in your iPhoto Library and can only be properly deleted by deleting them from within iPhoto. Doing so from iMovie (if it were possible) or the Finder would likely mess up the iPhoto data base. Only clips actually copied to one of your "iMovie Event" folders can be rejected and trashed from within iMovie '08. Did you, in fact, copy them to iMovie '08 or are you merely viewing them while they are still in the "iPhoto Videos" Event Library window?

BTW iMove HD is a two step process to delete clips. The difference is that the feature works on iMovie HD.

Yes, but the iMovie HD process is much more intuitive since it emulates the Finder "Trash Can" deletion process and many people seem to be having a problem with the iMovie '08 variation.

2.0GHz 3GB G5/533MHz 384MB G4 DeskTop/400MHz 384MB G4 Ti PB, Mac OS X (10.5.1), 60GB 5G iPod, 4GB iPhone, Nikon D-70, Nikon CoolPix 990, Sony HDR-HC3
  • RiverdaleMAC Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I am having the exact same issue with not being able to remove the rejected clips to he trash. I however, imported all my video direct from the camcorder into iMovie '08 and have been working on them there. iPhoto hasn't been involved at any step of the process.

I am new (3 months) to Mac's and so far LOVE everything except with this huge quantity of recently imported video I am having issues editing with iMovie. I am just starting to dig around these forums to try and find some answers.
    iMac 20", Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.