6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2008 9:05 AM by Scott Herman
Scott Herman Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)
When I opened iMovie (for the first time) earlier today a window opened asking if I would like to import movies from iPhoto. I did so I clicked the appropriate response. iMovie did not import all the video from iPhoto. I want to import the rest of these .avi videos (from pt & shoot cameras) but can't find a way to do it from within iMovie. The help menu isn't helping as it ignores importing videos from iPhoto. The iMovie support and forums don't seem to address this issue either. Does anyone know an easy way to do this so the imported clips look like the clips already imported from iPhoto?

iMovie 7.1.1 appears to have severe problems. I can't even delete these clips that were imported from iPhoto and again, help, support & discussions don't seem to address these issues.

MacBookPro 2.16, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 2GB RAM
  • Jon Walker Level 6 Level 6 (17,965 points)
    Does anyone know an easy way to do this so the imported clips look like the clips already imported from iPhoto?

Depends on what you mean by "easy." The basic problem is that clips can only be imported to iMovie '08 at the "Finder" level if, and only if, the clip is "edit" compatible. AVI files, for instance, can come in many "flavors." Many manufacturers store their AVI clips either as Motion-JPEG/DVI ADPCM or Motion-JPEG/Unsigned Integer video/audio files. The latter can be imported directly as both Motion-JPEG video and Unsigned Integer audio can be edited by iMovie '08. On the other hand, the DVI ADPCM audio cannot be edited and so these files will not import. In these cases you can either convert the audio and and then replace the original audio with the converted audio. This isn't the easiest method but does preserve the original video quality. The easier method is to use a QT conversion capable application (like QT Pro, iMovie '06, iTunes, GarageBand, etc.) or a third-party converter to convert both audio and video content.

I can't even delete these clips that were imported from iPhoto and again, help, support & discussions don't seem to address these issues.

Deletion is a two-step process to prevent "accidental deletions." First you must mark the clips or segments thereof by "rejecting" them. Then, to actually remove them you must select the "Remove Rejected Clips to Trash" File menu option.

• Scott Herman Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)
    Importing:

All these .avi files work fine on iMovie HD. I have dragged them directly from iPhoto to iMovie HD. Granted, these 15 files took nearly 20 minutes to import but they did import. The ones that iMovie 7.1.1 did import seemed to import instantly. The iMovie HD also will display the .avi files when you browse their content within the program, in iPhoto. And I can search for them. These .avi files do NOT show up in the iPhoto browse feature of iMovie 7.1.1. So this does not seem to be the compatibility issue.

Deletion:

I get the two step process. But I can NOT do it. I can select them but I cannot "Move Rejected Clips to Trash" because that option in the file menu is not highlighted. I did stumble on a way to get a selectable button on the iMovie 7.1.1 window that says "Move Rejected Clips to Trash". The "Show" selection at the bottom has a menu has a "Rejected Only" option. With the clips selected I can then select the "Rejected Only" option and just above those selected clips is that "Move Rejected Clips to Trash" button along with a "Hide Rejected". If I select the "Hide Rejected" those clips vanish but I can view them by selecting "All Clips" from the "Show" menu. BUT NOTHING HAPPENS if I select "Move Rejected Clips to Trash". That's my issue.

BTW iMove HD is a two step process to delete clips. The difference is that the feature works on iMovie HD.

Thanks for the note. I just wish it had helped. The really sad thing is that I thought I would try the new iMovie to see just how easy it is. But this issue of importing came up. When the iMovie 7.1.1 asked if I wanted to import video from iPhoto I was pretty excited. And for those clips it worked on, it is great. It imported the EVENT name and date. But it didn't import everything so I have spent (wasted) HOURS trying to figure out how to get it to import the rest. That led to my brain storm of starting over. I'll just throw out all the clips, toss the movie and start fresh. Well, I found the movie and ditched it BUT iMovie keeps the clips and even "Showing the package" I can't find the clips to discard them.

BTW in iMovie HD if I drag the video to it from iPhoto it only brings the original file name. If I get the clip from iPhoto within the "Media" section of the iMovie HD, it brings in the title I have placed on the file. Another interesting difference, the search option of iMovie 7.1.1 does search the iPhoto titles AND descriptions! Even Spotlight won't do that! And iMovie HD only searches the iPhoto title.
  • Jon Walker Level 6 Level 6 (17,965 points)
    All these .avi files work fine on iMovie HD. I have dragged them directly from iPhoto to iMovie HD. Granted, these 15 files took nearly 20 minutes to import but they did import. The ones that iMovie 7.1.1 did import seemed to import instantly.

You seem to be missing the point that iMovie HD automatically converts the clips to an edit compatible compression formats as part of the import process as needed. Thus, the additional times required for import. iMovie '08, on the other hand, only imports what it can edit "natively." In the case of the iPhoto clips, no import occurs since the "Event Library > iPhoto Videos" event window is actually looking at the videos still stored (and thumbnailed) in iPhoto.

I get the two step process. But I can NOT do it.

Do you really want to delete them? Remember, if you did not physically copy them to an "iMovie Event" folder in iMovie '08, they are still physically stored in your iPhoto Library and can only be properly deleted by deleting them from within iPhoto. Doing so from iMovie (if it were possible) or the Finder would likely mess up the iPhoto data base. Only clips actually copied to one of your "iMovie Event" folders can be rejected and trashed from within iMovie '08. Did you, in fact, copy them to iMovie '08 or are you merely viewing them while they are still in the "iPhoto Videos" Event Library window?

BTW iMove HD is a two step process to delete clips. The difference is that the feature works on iMovie HD.

Yes, but the iMovie HD process is much more intuitive since it emulates the Finder "Trash Can" deletion process and many people seem to be having a problem with the iMovie '08 variation.

Yes, I did want to delete the clips from iMovie. Now, if I fully understand what you are saying, I'll hold off on that. I wasn't able to do it anyway (sour grapes).

Speaking of fully understanding, so I must convert the clips to something iMovie 7.1.1 will use. It's interesting that iMovie HD can use them but not iMovie 7.1.1. I wonder why they didn't make it so it can convert any .avi? Or why it can't use any .avi format? But it does give me a way of converting the clips. Import them into iMovie HD and then move them back into iPhoto to replace the other clips. Then they would be visible in iMovie 7.1.1.

Thanks for the help & the explanations. If I can just figure out how to actually delete the clips from iMovie 7.1.1 I will be happy but I am guessing it really has something to do with the fact that it hasn't imported the clips, it is merely place holding their iPhoto location.

Scott
  • RiverdaleMAC Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I am having the exact same issue with not being able to remove the rejected clips to he trash. I however, imported all my video direct from the camcorder into iMovie '08 and have been working on them there. iPhoto hasn't been involved at any step of the process.

I am new (3 months) to Mac's and so far LOVE everything except with this huge quantity of recently imported video I am having issues editing with iMovie. I am just starting to dig around these forums to try and find some answers.
    Welcome to the world of Macs RiverdaleMac!

iMovie 08 has created a bit of controversy. Apple intended to simplify the process so that more people would make more movies. But many users of previous versions think that it was "dumbed down" too much, eliminating much flexibility. The mark of Apple software has always been it's intuitive and iMovie 08 just doesn't seem to work that way.

I'm just starting to use iMovie 08 and, as you can tell by my question here, am finding some issue with it. Thanks to this forum I now have a better understanding of the clips that appear from iPhoto. But I still have a lot to learn.

As to deleting clips that you imported directly from a camcorder, I haven't tried that. Let me suggest you start a NEW subject about that issue. You will find that a lot of people with first hand experience, will come to your aid. Sometimes the words get in the way, either you didn't explain yourself well or they don't, but in the end, you will find out a lot about your Mac.

I'll also suggest the tutorials if you have time. They are especially useful if you are new to Macs and Apple software. You have probably got some residual "Windows thinking" that you will eventually shed. You look for the Windows way to do things instead of the easy, natural way. It's just adapting to the difference.

Another option if you have access to an Apple Store. Each store offers workshops in the various Apple products and software offerings. These are scheduled (you can look them up from apple.com/retail and find their schedule. There is a widget available that will show you store schedules available in the apple.com/downloads. If you prefer more one on one, Apple offers ProCare for $100/yr that allows you one 1 hour private session with a store "genius" every week if you like and you can schedule this in advance on the subject of your choosing. My mother-in-law did this and is on her second year she likes it so much. I bet she has done 25 of these sessions.

Lastly, the older version of iMovie (iMovie HD) from iLife '06 is available as a free download (at least it used to be). Many of us still prefer that familiar (and we think easier, intuitive) software. Again for to apple.com and select the downloads then search.

Good luck to you and again, welcome to the world of Apple! I think you'll like it.

Scott