Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving Files from Tiger server to Leopard server

We have purchased a new mac and plan to install Leopard server on it when it arrives. I have a Tiger server with a 1 terrabyte external hard drive with my share point on it. I've read a couple of threads where people screwed everything up by copying the stuff from the tiger server to the leopard server so that's why I come for your advice before ending up like those guys;-)

I have setup my Tiger server to use ACL and I'd like to continue to do so in Leopard. I plan on using the Standard setup and use Server prefs instead of the full fledge system admin applications. So what do I have to do before, if anything, and after on my new server for making all this thing work?

TIA!
Jeff

Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Jan 17, 2008 12:35 PM

2 replies

Jan 17, 2008 5:14 PM in response to data squid

I just checked in the man page for cp and with the option -p it copies the uid for the group and preserves the ACLs. Now if my group ID is not the same because I have no control over that in Standard Setup, wouldn't that cause problems?

Can I use the terminal to remove any ACL, then reapply with the new group recursively? I saw some of Geritt's post which discribes some example which should help.

Jeff

Moving Files from Tiger server to Leopard server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.