Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audiobooks -- How do I flag them as such?

I have some audiobooks on CD I pulled off as MP3. I've imported into iTunes and they show up in the music area. I know with video I can flag as "TV Show", "Movie", etc.

How can I flag my audiobook mp3's as audiobooks, so they show up in the audiobook section of iTunes adn my iPod?

Currently I've set up an 'audiobook' playlist and copied them to there, but I'd prefer they go where there is a designated place on the software and the unit.

Thanks.

PC, Windows Vista

Posted on Jan 18, 2008 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2008 9:31 AM

There's some good info here:
http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=6227970

But in general, you need 2 things for files to show up in the Audiobooks Library in iTunes:
1) The files must be imported in AAC format
2) The file extension must be ".m4b".

You can convert your MP3s to AAC pretty easily (see above web page), but you will lose some sound quality. If you can rip again from the originals that would be ideal.

Once you have the tracks in AAC format, you can use the program I reference in the thread linked above to move the files into the Audiobooks Library. Just run the program, click "Move Files to Audiobooks", and follow the prompts. It will take care of renaming them, adding them to your Library, and deleting the reference in your Music Library to the "old" files.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2008 9:31 AM in response to junyr

There's some good info here:
http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=6227970

But in general, you need 2 things for files to show up in the Audiobooks Library in iTunes:
1) The files must be imported in AAC format
2) The file extension must be ".m4b".

You can convert your MP3s to AAC pretty easily (see above web page), but you will lose some sound quality. If you can rip again from the originals that would be ideal.

Once you have the tracks in AAC format, you can use the program I reference in the thread linked above to move the files into the Audiobooks Library. Just run the program, click "Move Files to Audiobooks", and follow the prompts. It will take care of renaming them, adding them to your Library, and deleting the reference in your Music Library to the "old" files.

Audiobooks -- How do I flag them as such?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.