Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use iPod for data storage like a harddrive?

I'd like to use an iPod for data storage (transfering from a PC to the iPod for a backup of large RAW photo files when traveling). Can I do this? Do I need to format my iPod for my Windows Laptop? (I do have a MacPro at home for my regular computer.)

Someday when I get a MacBook for my laptop, can I format my iPod back to a Mac format to work with it?

MacPro

Posted on Jan 18, 2008 12:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2008 12:13 PM

*Can I do this?*

Yes you can: Using your iPod as a storage drive

*Do I need to format my iPod for my Windows Laptop?*

Yes, if it's Mac formatted unless you install something like MacDrive on the PC so that Windows can read the drive you need to restore it in iTunes for Windows: MacDrive

*can I format my iPod back to a Mac format to work with it?*

Yes, restore it in iTunes for Mac. Restoring will erase and reformat the iPod's hard drive, reload the software and put it back to default settings. Once the restore is complete follow the on screen instructions to name the iPod and automatically sync your songs and videos onto the fresh installation. Press Done and the iPod will appear in iTunes and start to sync. If you want to update manually or using selected playlists uncheck the box beside the sync automatically instruction and press Done, it will default to manual mode and you can choose whatever setting you like: Restoring iPod to factory settings with iTunes 7
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2008 12:13 PM in response to gosmith

*Can I do this?*

Yes you can: Using your iPod as a storage drive

*Do I need to format my iPod for my Windows Laptop?*

Yes, if it's Mac formatted unless you install something like MacDrive on the PC so that Windows can read the drive you need to restore it in iTunes for Windows: MacDrive

*can I format my iPod back to a Mac format to work with it?*

Yes, restore it in iTunes for Mac. Restoring will erase and reformat the iPod's hard drive, reload the software and put it back to default settings. Once the restore is complete follow the on screen instructions to name the iPod and automatically sync your songs and videos onto the fresh installation. Press Done and the iPod will appear in iTunes and start to sync. If you want to update manually or using selected playlists uncheck the box beside the sync automatically instruction and press Done, it will default to manual mode and you can choose whatever setting you like: Restoring iPod to factory settings with iTunes 7

Jan 18, 2008 12:21 PM in response to gosmith

If it's just for back up you can drag them to the iPod through Windows Explorer (or Finder on the Mac) just like you would on a normal USB flash type drive. However I wouldn't use an iPod for any permanent storage. Don't forget that if you ever have problems with your iPod you may find you'll need to restore it to fix them and that will erase the drive. Relying on an iPod as your sole backup is not a good idea and external drives are comparatively inexpensive these days, you can get loads of storage for a reasonable outlay.

Jan 18, 2008 1:25 PM in response to Zevoneer

It's just for temporary backup while I'm out traveling. When I get home, I transfer everything to regular harddrives (2 in different locations). I've just heard horror stories about losing data and that I should have two backups for photos. So I want to be safe and have 2 copies. Some places I go to are once-in-a-lifetime trips and I don't want to lose my photos because I only had 1 copy. Thats all.
Thanks

Can I use iPod for data storage like a harddrive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.