Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft Office 2008: MS 2004 Entourage custom sound sets not working!

Just upgraded to MS Office 2008. One thing I quickly noticed is that I no longer have access to my custom sound set that I used in Entourage 2004, which I REALLY like (made it myself)...

I found this thread on another web site that acknowledges this as a bug. Indeed, for most people even the default sound set that comes with Entourage 2008 doesn't work. [http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.mac.office.entourage/browse_th read/thread/27dd10835afc3d11/fed88c8f75ff3120?lnk=raot]

If anyone figures out how to fix this so we can use our old custom Entourage sound sets from Office 2004 in Office 2008, please let us know!

BTW- The sound set I used to use is still in the MS User Data file from Entourage 2004.

Alum iMac 24" 2.47 ghz (int), MacBook 2ghz (int) core duo, mac mini 1.42 ghz PPC, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Jan 18, 2008 1:14 PM

4 replies

Jan 20, 2008 2:40 PM in response to bikinijack

Solved my own dilemma:

How to create and use a custom sound set for Entourage 2008 (assuming you already have a custom sound set from Entourage 2004):

I recreated my favorite sound set that is now working with Entourage 2008.

Here is what I did:

1) Play sound from sound set on Expression X (I used this to create the original custom sound set for Ent 2004)
2) Record sound on Audio Hijack Pro
3) Edit sound with Sound Studio, convert sound from mp3 to a .wav file
4) Put sound with same file name as Entourage sound file in the following folder (example, name the new sent mail sound file "mailsent.wav"): Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Office/EntourageCore.framework/
Versions/12/Resources/

to find this folder on your computer, just do a spotlight search using one of the files in the folder, such as "mailsent.wav"

If you want to save the original sounds from Entourage, put them in another folder before replacing them with the new sounds.

Sounds are here now in Entourage 2008:
Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Office/EntourageCore.framework/Versions/12/Resources/
mailsent.wav
newmail.wav
nomail.wav
welcome.wav
goodbye.wav
mailerror.wav
reminder.wav

Jan 23, 2008 9:27 PM in response to bikinijack

bikinijack wrote:
Solved my own dilemma:

How to create and use a custom sound set for Entourage 2008 (assuming you already have a custom sound set from Entourage 2004):

I recreated my favorite sound set that is now working with Entourage 2008.

Here is what I did:

1) Play sound from sound set on Expression X (I used this to create the original custom sound set for Ent 2004)
2) Record sound on Audio Hijack Pro
3) Edit sound with Sound Studio, convert sound from mp3 to a .wav file
4) Put sound with same file name as Entourage sound file in the following folder (example, name the new sent mail sound file "mailsent.wav"): Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Office/EntourageCore.framework/
Versions/12/Resources/

to find this folder on your computer, just do a spotlight search using one of the files in the folder, such as "mailsent.wav"

If you want to save the original sounds from Entourage, put them in another folder before replacing them with the new sounds.

Sounds are here now in Entourage 2008:
Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Office/EntourageCore.framework/Versions/12/Resources/
mailsent.wav
newmail.wav
nomail.wav
welcome.wav
goodbye.wav
mailerror.wav
reminder.wav

There seems to be a flaw in the Microsoft Office Student Teacher Edition sound. Seems it only plays a few times then stops working. It is a common complaint and MS seems to know about and working on it.

Is your sound set working correctly? Does it play sounds for all actions?

Thanks!

User uploaded file

Jan 23, 2008 9:49 PM in response to bikinijack

bikinijack wrote:
William, I suffer like everyone else with no working notification sounds after a few plays, and it is not just the Home/Student edition, this bug is a problem in all versions of Entourage 2008. We will just have to wait for an update.

My sound set does play, though, as it did in Entourage 2004 (for a few tries as mentioned above)

OK, I thought it was limited to the ST Edition. Thanks for your reply!

User uploaded file

Microsoft Office 2008: MS 2004 Entourage custom sound sets not working!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.