Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wierdness at UPS.com?

Ok, wierdly things are happening and I can't narrow it down. Maybe someone has some ideas.

1) Close safari and open Safari
2) Goto www.ups.com and nav to USA page (this happens right away)
3) Enter tracking number press go ( http://wwwapps.ups.com/WebTracking/processInputRequest?,,,)
4a) Long wait...get partial page of information / no graphics / no format
4b) sometimes it never comes back

5) Now type in www.ups.com (Now it takes forever and doesnt load):
Safari can’t open the page “ http://www.ups.com/” because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection, which sometimes occurs when the server is busy. You might be able to open the page later.

If I try this with IP addresses for the sites they work

Things I checked:
Checked /etc/hosts - no entries
Checked packets - not quite sure I understand anything here but didnt see anything like errors
Checked DNS servers 4.2.2.2 / 4.2.2.1 (works fine for other sites)

This has been going on for days

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Jan 18, 2008 7:45 PM

6 replies

Jan 18, 2008 7:52 PM in response to composerdude

I'd try another browser like FireFox before suspecting anything else. We've gone through years of commercial sites not working well with Safari. It seems like the banks have finally figured it out, but other sites don't fare as well.

2 years ago I was having problems with the current version of Safari at Western Union. I tried FireFox and never went back. Programs that are designed for the PC get a little better compatibility support than an Apple product can. Download.com shows over 12 million PC versions downloaded, and another 750,000 Apple versions.

Thats enough people to get the web site developer's attention.

Jan 18, 2008 7:58 PM in response to composerdude

We use ups.com constantly for shipping and IMMHO, this site has never worked right in Safari. It's "optimized" for windoze i.e. We tried to install a label printer and I must have spent two days trying to get it to work. Finally, I gave up on it and tried to set it up on a windoze 2K box using i.e.7 and I was printing labels within ten minutes. Try Mozilla. That might work better with this site than Safari.

User uploaded file

Jan 19, 2008 9:05 AM in response to composerdude

swictched my DNS to openDNS on router and refreshed network connection. Same problem.

Again, if I resolve the domain names to IP addresses returned from ex :dscacheutil -q host -a name www.ups.com worked correctly.

dscacheutil -flushcache doesnt help

Again, first nav to www.ups.com works. second nav to wwwapps tracking breaks namespace resolution for some reason. Cant resolve www.ups.com

Wierdness at UPS.com?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.