Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

network startup issue

Hi

For some reason every time I restart or start up a network window opens intending to automatically log on to one of our servers. When I say OK the beachball spins and I have to force quit. I detach my network cable and restart and its ok - until I go to Network in the Go menu - at which time the same window opens and I have to restart - again! I remember incidences similar to this in OS 9 at which point I would go to the servers folder and delete all the listed servers and that would take care of the problem. I'm not sure how to handle it in OS 10.

Ideas anyone?

thanks

DJH

Posted on Oct 26, 2005 5:36 PM

4 replies

Oct 27, 2005 8:47 PM in response to ghtK3VHxiO9DalJklqHh

Thanks for the reply. The server is not listed as a startup item so it cannot be eliminated. Maybe I was connected and crashed at some point and now it is trying to reconnect. It's weird because the server is still online but reconnection fails and basically hangs the machine. I've tried reinstalling system software, but the problem still occurs.

Would installing Tiger take care of the problem?

DJH

Oct 28, 2005 7:38 AM in response to ghtK3VHxiO9DalJklqHh

David
I don't know if installing Tiger (or reinstalling your current OS10,3,9) would help, except that a clean reinstall might clear out some problems with unwanted applications or network configuration. But it is not clear to me whether the problem is with your computer or the external network.

I think that to progress this, you would need to provide some more specific info on your network configuration and the server you refer to, if the server is known (i.e. is it on a Lan you are connecting to, or is it connecting you to the internet etc) and is the service wanted or unwanted. There are several applications that initially want to connect to servers via any of the Network Port Configurations enabled in your System Preference:Network panel. (Network Time, DHCP servers, Apple Help and so on). You may have an application starting up that you dont need, or trying to access the server through a disabled network port.

Maybe someone else can come up with a better answer.

PX.

network startup issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.