Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting to MySql Database with Dreamweaver

I'm having trouble connecting to MySql Database with Dreamweaver. I'm Running:

Mac OS X 10.3.9
mysql-max-5.0.15
php-5.0.4-apache2
Macromedia Dreamweaver 8

I'm building a PHP webpage and when I try to connect to a Database I'm having troubles.

In Dreamweaver the Site Definition - Testing Server I have:

PHP MySQL

Access: Local/Network

Testing Server Folder: (What do I put here???) I've tryied localhost and MacintoshHD/Library/WebServer/Documents but it didn't work.

When I go to set the Recordset connection and I set the connection to MySQL I've tryed using MySQL Server: localhost (What's the correct value here?), when I click on Select database I have the following error: Cannot display the remote folder localhost cannot be accessed or does not exist. Make sure the remote folder is available or select a different one clicking Manage Sites...'

Does anyone know how should I change the settings to make it work? I want to build a PHP page and host it on my G4, I also want to run the MySQL database on the G4. Has anyone been succesful in setting Dreamweaver to connect to the database? Can anyone help?

Thank you.

Posted on Nov 6, 2005 5:57 AM

6 replies

Nov 6, 2005 6:20 AM in response to Infinite Loop, 1

I've made some progress:

I've created a new site. the local folder is the user webpage folder in User/Sites/. the remote is the G4 webpage MaintoshHD/Library/WebServer/Documents/. the url is http://192.168.0.2 (Which is this machine LAN IP address). The testing Server is also MacintoshHD/Library/WebServer/Documents/.

When I try to connect to the database now I have MySQL Server: 192.168.0.2, when I click on select I now get the following error: Unidentified error HTTP Error Code 403 Forbidden.

Any ideas?

Nov 6, 2005 6:23 AM in response to Infinite Loop, 1

403 Forbidden

The server understood the request, but is refusing to fulfill it. Authorization will not help and the request SHOULD NOT be repeated. If the request method was not HEAD and the server wishes to make public why the request has not been fulfilled, it SHOULD describe the reason for the refusal in the entity. If the server does not wish to make this information available to the client, the status code 404 (Not Found) can be used instead.

Nov 6, 2005 7:42 AM in response to Infinite Loop, 1

I downloaded phpMyAdmin and it can't connect either.

Welcome to phpMyAdmin 2.6.4-pl3

phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected the connection. You should check the host, username and password in config.inc.php and make sure that they correspond to the information given by the administrator of the MySQL server.
Error

MySQL said: Documentation
#1251 - Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

Nov 6, 2005 12:23 PM in response to Infinite Loop, 1

Hi--

I'm not much of an expert on PHP, so I can't be much help there, but this error:
Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

Sounds suspiciously like a passwords problem. MySQL changed the way they hash passwords somewhere between versions 4.0.x and 4.1.x. Some software uses the older client libraries, and therefore cannot connect to the MySQL server. More info here.

charlie

Nov 7, 2005 11:40 AM in response to Infinite Loop, 1

Unfortunately I can't help you with your dreamweaver problem, but lets see if we can get you part of the way there.

Ok, back to some basics. I take it you can connect to mysql using the mysql client?

On the command line :

mysql -u<username> -p<password> <database_name>

If that lets you in, then great, mysql is running and it must be something with php or phpMyAdmin.

If not, is mysqld actually running?

Jan 3, 2006 2:14 AM in response to Infinite Loop, 1

I have had an identical problem, and in my opinion it would appear to be Dreamweaver 8 problem

I have been throught dozens (literally!!) of pages on Macromedia and various web design sites and it appears to be common, with no satisfactory answer. People have claimed to be working OK but they never provide details of how.

One theory was that mysql 5 uses different encrption of passwords and DW8 couldn't handle this, but resetting my mysql password using the OLD_PASSWORD ( http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/old-client.html) didn't work either.

In the end I went back to DW MX2004 which works fine with mysql 5.

I was using a 30 day demo of Dreamweaver so no great loss (apart from upgrade revenue for Macromedia/Adobe)

Connecting to MySql Database with Dreamweaver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.