Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wi-fi ask to join network on or off - what's the difference?

I don't understand well the difference between turning ON or OFF the setting for Ask to Join Network in the wi-fi settings. What does it mean? which one would you recommend? Is one safer than the other? Thanks!

iMac Flat Panel 15", Mac OS X (10.4.11), 768 MB SDRAM

Posted on Jan 19, 2008 7:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2008 10:01 AM

its not quite as described above but close, it goes like this:

When it is set to ON, and if there are no known networks (networks you joined before), the iPod will ask you if you want to join any available network if there is one within your range.

When set to OFF, the iPod will still automatically join the network you are used to, but if your network is not available, it will not pop up a message asking if you want to join some other network that is within your range.

Is it confusing? lol, the thing is, I leave it OFF, because it doesn't pop up some message asking if I want to join this or that network if I'm away from my default router all the time.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2008 10:01 AM in response to RicMoli

its not quite as described above but close, it goes like this:

When it is set to ON, and if there are no known networks (networks you joined before), the iPod will ask you if you want to join any available network if there is one within your range.

When set to OFF, the iPod will still automatically join the network you are used to, but if your network is not available, it will not pop up a message asking if you want to join some other network that is within your range.

Is it confusing? lol, the thing is, I leave it OFF, because it doesn't pop up some message asking if I want to join this or that network if I'm away from my default router all the time.

Jan 19, 2008 7:45 PM in response to RicMoli

With it on, the iPod will automatically connect to any network you have already previously connected to.

With it off, the iPod will never automatically connect to a network, you must always do it manually.

It's good on, because then you don't have to manually do it every time (especially if the network requires a WEP/WPA key).
It's bad on, because if you're network is defaulted (like named "linksys"), you're iPod would try to connect to it if it was named "linksys".

Jan 20, 2008 9:45 AM in response to RicMoli

ahh, thanks for your replies. Now I understand a little better.

However... even if I have set it to OFF, it joins my own network automatically, without asking me for my password. This is good and convenient, but sometimes I would like to have the option to have to enter my password again.

And regarding the battery life, it keeps looking for available networks all the time, so I guess it keeps using battery. The good thing is that it does not join any of those networks automatically. which is what I wanted.

Jan 20, 2008 3:06 PM in response to RicMoli

Ahhh, thanks! it is good that you leave it OFF so that it does not pop up a message asking to join this or that network, but my question is: if you leave it OFF, and my network is not available, will it join any other available network automatically, without asking me? I would prefer to join a network manually...

------- last user wrote: -------

Jan 22, 2008 12:07 PM in response to RicMoli

I turned off my own wi-fi network (apple airport express). Then turned on my wi-fi connection in my iPod. If I turn OFF the option to "ask to join a network" my ipod joined automatically one of the available networks in the list. If I turn ON the option to "ask to join a network" nothing happens. No windows pop-up asking you to join a network. Howerver, if now you activate your MAPS program, a window pops-up asking you to choose a network. Which is good.

So in conclusion: my setting for "ask to join networks" is going to be = ON.

Thanks!

wi-fi ask to join network on or off - what's the difference?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.