Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with imap mail since upgrading to Leopard

Hi all,
Since upgrading to Leopard I've had problems with one of my mail accounts.
I keep getting the exclamation mark symbol when it checks for messages and it says:

There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Check the settings for account “NTL” or try again.

The server error encountered was: The attempt to read data from the server “imap.ntlworld.com” failed.

Then sporadically messages make it through. My web based NTL world e mail is fine.
I tried sending a message from me to me and it went fine, but doesn't arrive.

Anyone have any ideas?
many thanks
xGem

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Jan 20, 2008 5:16 AM

6 replies

Jan 28, 2008 1:07 PM in response to Gemmac

I am having the same issue!

Primary NTL account - NOT Fine!!!
.Mac account - Fine
Google account - Fine
Secondary NTL account - Fine

I raised the issue with Virgin media the other day, they are blaming it on the upgrade of Puddy Cat! - (mmmmmm! - why does the secondary work fine???)

Anybody got any ideas?

The quotas for the primary account are at about 0.5% used and there are minimal levels to the folder structure within it, (Root - 12 folders (of which 1 has 13 folders in) )

BTW: it is only intermittent, after about 20 attempts, it behaves! (for a while!)
It's no too much of a problem, but I like things to be as close to perfect as possible! (Hence my love of all things Mac!)

Jan 28, 2008 1:58 PM in response to Monty1945

I'm not sure it is with NTL/Virgin Media. - I have spoken with them - (although admittedly, I don't think it was their sharpest tool I was speaking with 😉 ).

Symptoms do seem to point the way of the Leopard!

My iPhone doesn't have a connection issue over my home network. which syncs to the same servers, using the same connection info as the Mini. (accounts are synced with the Mini)

Apr 23, 2008 10:50 AM in response to davidmorin

Don't know if this is the same problem, but may give a clue?
I am with Blueyonder (Virgin) and I have 5 email mailboxes for my primary email account, but only 3 are active and set up. Suddenly two of those accounts stopped working last Friday (went grey and can't access), but one of them was, and is still fine!? I emailed Virgin, but got no response from them. So I rang today, but they said if I could access my web mail then the problem wasn't with them.

After some considerable experimentation, I discovered the following. Go into Selfcare on the Virgin site, and access your email account. It said that one of my mailboxes could not be deleted because it was the same account name as my Blueyonder web site space (which I don't use). It said if I change the name of my web site, giving a link to it, I could then delete that email account. When you click on the link to change your web site name, you're presented with a drop-down menu to simply select one of your other email accounts (if you don't have one, create another one!).

Now I have no desire to delete that email account, but I discovered the email account that shares the same name as the website, does NOT work! So after I chose a web site name from an email account I don't use, the original email starting working (had to quit mail and restart before it did though!).

That's all rather bizarre I know, but it worked and indicates it was something going on at Virgin and not at my end!?

Anyway, hope that may help some of you.

I did also make some changes/additions to the Mail server list in the Preferences, but you can find that on another post I made here today if that's useful.

null

Problems with imap mail since upgrading to Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.