Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Considering getting a G5, couple of inquries.

I'm offered a good price on a second hand G5, but what are the main differences between a G5 and a Mac Pro?

What are the topics of discussion when comparing the two generations of stationary computers? Is it worth it to spend more and get a Mac Pro instead?

Posted on Jan 20, 2008 4:11 PM

4 replies

Jan 21, 2008 8:03 AM in response to eurobum

Hi Eurobum, I will tell you of my experience having two (2) personal G5's die after their warranty periods had expired and not being offered any help by the Apple people although they felt sorry for me. In addition, I have seen several G5s at my workplace die rapid and irreversible deaths. I do not trust or recommend ANY G5. I have been using Macs since 1985 in my professional work including video and photo work. I am a thorough Mac advocate, but I think Apple made a major design and production error with the G5s which is only admitted to the power supplies but extends well beyond. I am out several thousand dollars with my G5 loses. However, I am looking beyond these catastrophies to save for a new Mac Pro in the future. As was stated by others also, the G5 line will be obsolete soon so look ahead.

Considering getting a G5, couple of inquries.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.