13 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2008 1:06 AM by garimond
Sue Marsh1 Level 2 Level 2 (260 points)
I have upgraded my iPod classic to firmware upgrade 1.1, but it has caused so many problems that I want to downgrade to version 1.0.2 or 1.0.3. The difficulty is that I have inadvertently deleted the 1.0.2 and 1.0.3 files and cannot find any way of replacing them. Can anyone tell me where I could find them to download please? I have searched iLounge and Googled without success.

Windows XP
  • Leonard Senn1 Level 1 Level 1 (50 points)
    Sue,

I'm sorry I can't help you. Maybe you could help me though. I also want to downgrade, but can't find the files. Where did you look to see that you inadverterntly deleted the files?
  • buddhahat Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
    In the topic : Classic Firmware 1.1: What's new?, about 2/3rds of the way down a poster has described how to downgrade the software. It's highlighted in red so should be easy to find if you scroll down.
  • Sue Marsh1 Level 2 Level 2 (260 points)
    In Windows, the iPod updates are in this folder;

C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates

I hope this helps.
    I have seem the post you mention, and this is the method I would use to downgrade. However, the snag is that the files I would need to use are no longer on my computer (I inadvertently deleted them). Now I need to find some way of putting them back.
    I downloaded the previous version (v1.0.3) of the iPod software from here; http://rapidshare.com/files/73863240/1.0.3.zip.html and restored the iPod. This reverted the iPod to the previous version of the iPod software.
  • richi002 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    hi!

I am searching for the american version of the iPod nano firmware 1.0.4. But i can´t download it from the link above. Maybe someone could sent me the file ore could give me a link?

Thank you for your help

Bye
  • Jeff Bryan Level 9 Level 9 (61,785 points)
    The American version?

Since when have there been different versions (according to country) of the iPod software available for download?
    There is an European version with volume limits for the 2nd and 3rd iPod nano generation. The ipod is nearly useless for using it with your home sound system, because it is to silent. I have investigate that the problem is located in the European firmware. If I am able to get the American firmware, it is no problem to install this file on my European iPod. On PC you can find the files in this directory :C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates

This is the thread from were i get the information:

http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=212751&highlight=volume

I am sorry for my bad English, it´s not my mothertoungue ^^
    I'm well aware that iPods intended for the EU market have a volume cap.

What I'm not aware of is that there are different versions of the software available for download (i.e. USA and European). In all the time I've been using iPods, I've never seen this.

As an experiment, the last time I was in the USA, I used a friends' computer to update my 5th gen iPod. It made no difference to overall the volume level.
    Maybe Apple could help us to solve the iPod volume cap problem. Where can i buy an American iPod in Europe? Is it possible to send my iPod to Apple support to unlock the volume cap or to swap the iPod into the American version?
    Where can i buy an American iPod in Europe?

No idea.

Is it possible to send my iPod to Apple support to unlock the volume cap or to swap the iPod into the American version?

Very unlikely. Apple have to comply with EU law when selling iPods intended for sale in Europe.
  • garimond Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    *This is not a Law bye EU*, It´s a law from France.
    Apple goes the easy way and sell all iPods with capping in EU!!

If some want the US-Version!!!

Try to find some US-Soldiers in your Country and ask them to buy
    your iPod in the Base BX.
    This is not a Law bye EU, It´s a law from France.
    Apple goes the easy way and sell all iPods with capping in EU!!

It was a law proposed by the French and subsequently ratified by the European Parliament to include all member states.