Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

display brightness & photo editing?

How do you regulate the display brightness level for editing photos? Mine seems to shift/change brightness on various days and times (I have to manually lighten it when this happens). I print at a local lab and I don't want to have to have them lighten my photos post editing. Color is a whole other thing...
Thank You,
Teresa

powerbook g4, Mac OS X (10.0.x)

Posted on Jan 21, 2008 8:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2008 8:30 AM

Hi teresa,
If you have an aluminum 15" or 17" 1.25GHz or faster then the display changes with the ambient light.
In your system preferences click displays and uncheck the box below where it says:
"automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes".

This should correct the problem of constant change and the brightness will stay where you set it.
PB
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2008 8:30 AM in response to teresabythesea

Hi teresa,
If you have an aluminum 15" or 17" 1.25GHz or faster then the display changes with the ambient light.
In your system preferences click displays and uncheck the box below where it says:
"automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes".

This should correct the problem of constant change and the brightness will stay where you set it.
PB

Jan 22, 2008 9:30 AM in response to teresabythesea

The brightness issue is answered by the other post. For color, I take care of that two ways. First, I use a hardware calibrator (Eye-One) to make my PowerBook monitor reproduce color as accurately as it can. The problem is, these laptop monitors just aren't that good. The new LED-backlit monitors in the 15" MacBook Pro and MacBook Air are noticeably better. However, it still falls short of a good desktop LCD. So the ultimate solution for a laptop owner is to buy a good DVI desktop monitor, connect it to the PowerBook, calibrate it, and correct photos on that.

Jan 24, 2008 5:59 AM in response to teresabythesea

Hi, Teresa. If you are really running OS X 10.0.x on a Powerbook G4, it isn't Aluminum; it's the very first Titanium Powerbook G4 model, made between January and October 2001. While the computer may still function just fine, its LCD display has aged quite a lot in those 6-7 years, and no longer is as bright, as contrasty or as consistent as it once was. Its color may also have shifted considerably toward the red, especially when it's just warming up or waking from sleep. The age of the display alone may account for most of the problems you report, and you won't be able to rectify them on such an old display. Therefore you've been well advised by the previous posters to buy a good external monitor and use that for your photo-correction chores.

And if you're really running OS X 10.0.x, you should consider upgrading to one of the more complete, mature, and stable versions of OS X and see what OS X is supposed to be like. Until version 10.2, OS X was unfinished, unready, unstable, and nearly unusable. If you've been struggling along with a beta-level operating system all these years, you're due for a more pleasant experience. I highly recommend that you upgrade to 10.3.x or better and see what you've been missing.

display brightness & photo editing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.