3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 23, 2008 5:03 AM by starfondler
starfondler Level 1 (0 points)

I've changed the IP address of an (iMac) NFS client. From the workgroup manager on the NFS server, I have updated the exports accordingly, to include the client's new IP address - and if I do

tpchn:jg # nidump exports .

.. I can see the IP address listed for all necessary NFS exports.

however, it's not happening on the client side.

The client is in fact on a different subnet - not sure if that should make a difference or not as far as exports are concerned, although I can happily ssh between the client and the server so network connectivity is basically fine.

Anyway, on the client side, if I attempt to cd to one of the NFS filesystems, I get:

lyon:admin # cd /data/raid02
su: cd: /data/raid02: RPC prog. not avail
lyon:admin #

I have rebooted the client completely, same result. I've also done:

tpchn:jg # killall -HUP mountd
tpchn:jg #

.. any suggestions?


Unknown Apple Server, Mac OS X (10.4.1)
  • Mike Mackovitch Level 1 (100 points)
    (For the record, this is a Tiger (10.4) issue not a 10.5 issue. Neither nidump nor mountd exist on 10.5. )

    su: cd: /data/raid02: RPC prog. not avail

    That sounds like either the NFS server's not running or portmap isn't running.

    What does this command show on the NFS client?:


    (replace the last argument with the actual NFS server name or IP address)

    If it returns an error instead of a list of ports, or if list of ports doesn't include nfs, mount, nlockmgr, and status, then it looks like the portmapper either died or was restarted on the NFS server. You'll want to restart all the NFS daemons (possibly the whole server).

  • starfondler Level 1 (0 points)
    Hi Mike,

    Sorry for the misplaced post and thanks for your reply.

    It's not the server; other clients (on the same subnet) can see the same exported partitions without problem. Running rpcinfo on a working client gives:

    $ rpcinfo -p <server IP>
    program vers proto port
    100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
    100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
    100024 1 udp 1021 status
    100024 1 tcp 1015 status
    100021 0 udp 1008 nlockmgr
    100021 1 udp 1008 nlockmgr
    100021 3 udp 1008 nlockmgr
    100021 4 udp 1008 nlockmgr
    100021 0 tcp 1014 nlockmgr
    100021 1 tcp 1014 nlockmgr
    100021 3 tcp 1014 nlockmgr
    100021 4 tcp 1014 nlockmgr
    100005 1 udp 984 mountd
    100005 3 udp 984 mountd
    100005 1 tcp 1012 mountd
    100005 3 tcp 1012 mountd
    100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
    100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
    100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
    100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs

    ..whereas on the problematic client, on a new subnet, I get:
    $ rpcinfo -p <server IP>
    No remote programs registered.

    The server was actually restarted last night for other reasons, but this has made no difference.

    Actually I think I've overlooked hosts.allow/deny .. more later
  • starfondler Level 1 (0 points)

    Yep, it was a simple case of overlooking hosts.allow. Thanks for the reply; it's all working now.