Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I make a "reply" a "question?"

When I have posted a question I get very rapid replies. When I reply to a reply with some more questions I sometimes get no replies. Is there a way to mark my reply to a reply as a questions so people know I'm still asking? Or are repeated questions looked at as a nuisance to be ignored?

Thanks.

Geoff

iMac

Posted on Jan 24, 2008 10:16 AM

10 replies

Jan 24, 2008 10:44 AM in response to Geoff K

Hi Geoff!

"Is there a way to mark my reply to a reply as a question..."
No.

But that shouldn't be necessary, as a Topic that you have started, is an ongoing discourse.
One reason, that members may stop viewing, and responding in the Thread, may be that you have marked the Topic as Answered.

That you can change!
At the top of all your Topics, there is an options to Mark as answered, or Mark question as not answered.

Replying with a question, in a Topic, that has been started by another member, may also explain, why there is no response.

Can you post a link, to a Topic, where you have not been assisted?

ali b

Jan 24, 2008 10:51 AM in response to Geoff K

Hi Geoff,

When you reply to a reply to your reply to a reply to your original question, your reply to a reply to your reply to a reply to your original question is indeed viewed. The reason why you may not get a reply to your reply to a reply to your reply to a reply to your original question could be that those who follow the thread may not have anything further to add and cannot further assist to the additional question posed in your reply to a reply to your reply to a reply to your original question.

You could, perhaps, pose the reply to a reply to your reply to a reply to your original question as a new post which would then invite further replies that you can reply to....

I've now got a headache! I'm going to bed! If anyone replies to my reply to Geoff's question I shall not be offering any replies to their replies to my reply to Geoff's original question.

Kryten

Jan 24, 2008 1:03 PM in response to -Kryten-

I think there's an echo in here. <g> thanks, ali b and kryten. Yes, I did mark it as answered because my original question was answered. The answer stimulated new questions. (The echo is back?) I thought I needed to mark it answered in order to give appropriate credit. Perhaps i should leave that until all things are answered? But then if I get no more replies and forget to go back someone looses out on the credit...

Thanks for your help.

Geoff

Jan 24, 2008 10:58 PM in response to Geoff K

My inclination here would be to follow Kryten's advice.

If the reply to your reply to the reply to your question answered the original query but generated new queries which were derived from, but not identical to, the original query, and you have already identified the reply to your reply to the reply to your original query as an answer, then rather than adding a new reply to your reply to the reply to your reply to the reply to your original query you will usually be better served by adding a new query elsewhere. If , however you have not identified the reply to your reply to the reply to your original query as an answer I would suggest you persist with a further reply (or query) in the same thread as the reply to your reply to the reply to your original query.

In the first case you are unlikely to receive further replies to your reply to the reply to your reply to the reply to your original query, which would be a shame.

In the second case , however, other people are likely to start asking questions about your new post or query not in reply to the reply to your reply to the reply to your original query. And we certainly don't want to see anything like THAT happening here!!!!! 😉

Cheers

Rod

Jan 25, 2008 9:06 AM in response to Rod Hagen

Thanks, everybody. I'll be a little more generous starting new threads and a little more stingy marking something answered. But, I think I can mark this one answered.

After this last reply by Rod I wonder if we should rename the thread Reverberations on a Theme. Maybe some one could put it to music? Just kidding. I really appreciate the help. Perhaps next year when I retire I'll have time to learn enough that i can contribute and not always ask.

Geoff

Jan 25, 2008 10:08 AM in response to Geoff K

Geoff--

First of all,
Thanks for one of the greatest threads in AD's history, IMHO!
And thanks for the opportunity for Kryten to drop in with his infinite wisdom 😉
(Shhh, he's an "old soul" here . . . )

Secondly,
your two new resolutions are perfect!
Great responses, overall.

You said:
+Perhaps next year when I retire+
+I'll have time to learn enough that i can contribute and not always ask.+

That will happen sooner than you think!

Look forward to seeing you around, Geoff!!!

How can I make a "reply" a "question?"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.