Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

pressure required on Apple keyboards

This is not specifically a bluetooth question, but this the only place where the keyboard issues are addressed.
I have a disabled friend who is looking for a keyboard where only a very small pressure/force is required to activate the keys. Ideally, she would like a 0 Newton keyboard. She is not satisfied with the current infrared substitutes.
Can someone tell me what is the force required to activate a key on the Apple keyboards that are sold?
These specifications are difficult to find.
Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 17", Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jan 24, 2008 1:00 PM

8 replies

Feb 12, 2008 1:05 PM in response to FChaplais

Hi FChaplais-

Please accept my apologies for the delay.

I used what I think is an effective but crude method by simply piling post-1985 pennies on several different keys until they engaged and taking an average.

A post-1985 US penny weighs approximately 2.5 grams.

I came up with 32.5 grams of pressure required on a new model aluminum keyboard.

An old model white keyboard in a tray takes in excess of 50 grams of pressure.

I hope this helps the cause-

-DaddyPaycheck

pressure required on Apple keyboards

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.