Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The alias could not be opened (connect to USB drive on Airport)

I lose my connection to the USB drive that I have connected to my Airport Extreme. And when I try to reconnect by going through Finder, I get the dialog:
*The alias "<server>" could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found.*
There are then options to *Delete Alias*, *Fix Alias*, or OK
I notice that under /Volumes, a new directory gets created with the server name showing up. There isn't anything in it. I even delete the directory, and then do the steps again and the directory shows up again. If I don't delete it and then try to connect, I then get a second directory added with a "-01" appended to the second directory.
And when I try to *Fix Alias*, I'm given the option to specify a file, but that isn't what I need to do. I also can't delete the alias because I get a permission denied since it tries to delete the name of the Airport Extreme. Ugh.
So, the real problem is that I lose connection, but ignoring that, how do I fix this alias issue so I can reconnect to the server on the Airport Extreme.
NOTE: I've tried recycling both the Mac and the Apple Extreme, but that does nothing.

MAC Mini / Airport Extreme, Mac OS X (10.4.11), USB Drive

Posted on Jan 24, 2008 8:18 PM

1 reply

Jan 26, 2008 8:42 AM in response to Jon Tucker

FYI... I called John at Apple Support and he helped me fix the problem. Which is...

When using 10.4 (Tiger), you cannot connect to the router/USB-drive via the network connection (Finder Network path or Connect to Server). You MUST use the Air Disk Utility to connect to the router/USB-drive. So, start AirPort Disk Utility, check all the boxes. Then up on the task/menu bar on your Mac, you should see the AirPort Disk icon. Click that, then on the router name, and then authenticate however you have that setup on your router via the AirPort Utility.

NOTE: The ability to Connect to Server is available in 10.5 (Leopard).

Hope that helps!

The alias could not be opened (connect to USB drive on Airport)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.