Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PSU Noise??

My 2.66ghz MacPro (2007)

i on occasion hear a whincing noise coming from the top rear of the machine. sounds like almost like hdd spin a very kind of whispery spin (not the seeking sound) almost more a spinning sound similar to a case fan.

im just alittle nervous because my surge protector was accidentally shut off a few weeks ago while my system was on and i ran Hardware tests to test any of the hardware and it has remained up and running since then. im wondering if this a normal sound, its not a consistant noise/sound but i hear it ever so often.

any info/advice would be appreciated! thanks!

MacPro2.66 : : 2GB : : 500GB : : ATI X1900XT // MacBookPro 2.2 : : 2GB : : 120GB, Mac OS X (10.4.9), XP Pro Sp2 : : 500GB / / iPod 30GB 5th Gen. Black

Posted on Jan 24, 2008 10:31 PM

4 replies

Jan 28, 2008 10:22 PM in response to AppleNewton

the noise has seldomly returned again after having a grey screen that has the Please Press and Hold Power button to shut down after i had to force shut down my system becaus ei was fast user switching and one account froze, im wondering how har dis it to replace the PSU in a macpro and how can i determine any sort of fault with it other than the noise.

im really concerned, iam covered under applecare but who knows the next one wont be bad?

PSU Noise??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.