Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

emailing music from itunes library

Is it possible to email songs from my library. I have received from friends the music bar in an email that allows me to hear their music although it may not be from itunes....
GK

ibookG4, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Jan 25, 2008 12:26 PM

10 replies

Jan 26, 2008 3:46 PM in response to Beavis2084

I asked a similar question before a day or two ago; I haven't heard a response yet. Perhaps someone in this thread can help. Thanks!

--------

One of my favorite features of iTunes was the ability to quickly send audio files as attachments using Mac Mail. Before, if I had an MP3 highlighted in the iTunes Library, and I selected iTunes (Finder Menu) > Services > Mail > Send File, my default mail handler (Mac Mail) would open up a new message window with the underlying MP3 file referenced in the iTunes Library already embedded as an attachment. As a musician, I appreciated the simplicity of the workflow required to send compositions to collaborators.

However, recently, that path of steps doesn't work anymore. I can still send the text information of the file (using Finder Menu > Services > Mail > Send Selection, but I can't use the > Send File to quickly attach the file anymore. I should note that the > Send File feature still works fine in other contexts (e.g., when I've selected a file in a Finder Window).

Is there something corrupted in my setup, or did Apple take this feature away for some reason? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jan 30, 2008 8:53 AM in response to Chris CA

Chris CA wrote:
One of my favorite features of iTunes was the ability to quickly send audio files as attachments using Mac Mail.

That wasn't a feature of iTunes. It is the Mac OS.

Are you selecting the song in the iTunes library or from a playlist?

Thanks all for the follow up responses. 🙂

I'm selecting the song from within the iTunes library. I'm either listening to that particular track, or iTunes isn't playing at all (before, if I had one song selected and another song playing, the OS wouldn't attach either audio file to a new message window).

I know the "Send File" feature is technically part of the OS (since it works in other applications in a similar way); I just fear that Apple "turned off" that feature in the OS for iTunes to make it slightly more difficult for users to email copyrighted files to each other. But, having to attach it "manually" certainly adds to my workflow.

Beavis2084's suggested script approach sounds interesting, although I'm not familiar with AppleScript. Any tips on how to get that started? Is it fairly intuitive?

emailing music from itunes library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.