Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to change the standard email message?

Hi,
I'd rather not have the message "Russ Conte has invited you to ..." as the message that is sent out for each invitation. Is there a way to change that without having to go in and change every single time it is used? Is there a preference for the text that is used, so I can edit it to be what I want?

I'm using iCal 2.0.5
Mac OS X 10.4.11
MacBook Pro 2.33 GHZ, 2 MB RAM

Any help or advice is most appreciated.

Thanks,

Russ Conte

2.33 GHZ MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Jan 27, 2008 10:09 AM

2 replies

Jan 27, 2008 1:19 PM in response to Russ Conte

At your own risk ...

Ctrl-click on the iCal.app file in Applications and select Show Package Contents. Locate the English.lproj folder in the Resources folder of the Contents. Find file ITIP.strings and make a duplicate (so we can restore if things go badly). Open ITIP.strings with a text editor (BBEdit, TextEdit or whatever you use yourself). Scroll down to find

/* Mail body when sending an invitation to an event (IP 56) */
"%@ has invited you to the iCal event: %@, scheduled for %@ at %@ (%@). To accept or decline this invitation, click the link below.\n" = "%@ has invited you to the iCal event: %@, scheduled for %@ at %@ (%@). To accept or decline this invitation, click the link below.\n";

The text that is used (and that you can change) is the text to the right of the "=". You may need to restart iCal after saving any changes. It is quite possible that your changes, if they work, will not survive software updates.

User uploaded fileAK

Apr 23, 2008 11:20 AM in response to Austin Kinsella1

Thanks! This is exactly what I was searching for. I was in the right directory, just didn't know about the strings files. I changed it to say "to accept or decline this invitation, click on the attached ics file." instead of the default "click the link below." I got too many Outlook users saying there was no link to click and didn't look for the attachment. Outlook does not show the ics file inline like Mail app does, so the wording was misdirecting the user.

Anyway, thanks for the hint - would be nice if this file wouldn't get overwritten by subsequent updates, but it hadn't so far (up to 10.5.2), so I'll keep a watch whenever I update now.

Is there a way to change the standard email message?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.