Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does OS 10.3 support Security Mode WPA?

My niece has a Linksys wireless router which I cannot figure out how to connect to. She is in Windows XP. It says that its security mode is WPA-Personal. Encryption method is TKIP. And then there is an encryption key. I cannot figure out any way to know if my G4 powerbook running OS 10.3.9 supports this or where or how to enter the encryption key.
With airport running, I have been able to "see" their network. And I can get to a dialog box that prompts me for a name and password. I have entered their name and their password but I still cannot connect.
When I am at home, I have a Lynksys wireless router and have no trouble connecting. I have exhausted all possibilities that I can think of. Any help?
Thanks.

MacPro (wow), Mac OS X (10.4.9), also 10.3.9 on G4desk and Powerbook G4

Posted on Jan 28, 2008 9:17 AM

2 replies

Jan 29, 2008 7:26 AM in response to DonH49

I'm answering my own question here because I found out something very hidden but very useful.
First of all, WPA is supported in OS10.3. Secondly, I was able to connect to a Windows based, WPA security protected wireless network. The first key was to download the latest Airport update available for your computer. I cannot recall the version number that worked for me but it came up recently when I ran software update. (I've been searching the apple updates pages but cannot find it. I think it was in Security Update 2006-007 - but run software update and look for Airport). Then, to make the connection, open Internet Connect. Hold down the option key and click on the Network drop down. This gave me a WPA-Personal option that was not there before. Initially, there was a double sized field to type an encryption key. However, it would not allow me to enter anything. I repeated the process and then got a field to enter a password. Instead of entering the password, you have to enter the encryption key.You'll have to get that from the person whose wireless network you are trying to connect to. Upon entering that I got connected. I wish I could be more specific but I can't locate the info I found to get me to this point. It was in a discussion group and I've been searching for the past 40 minutes without success. I initially found it using someone else's computer. If I find more I'll post it.

Does OS 10.3 support Security Mode WPA?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.