Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

You do not have sufficient access privileges

I have been getting this error with increasing frequency, so I moved to a newly created Standard user account.

Now, I am getting the errors again. I have found a few posts referring to this issue as one caused by 10.5.1, but I have found no solutions. I am loathe to adding a new user called system, as one user suggested.

On the new user, I am unable to rename folders, burn a CD or DVD or download to my Downloads folder.

Is there a fix for this?

Thanks, in advance.

Bruce

15" MBP 2.33GHz 3GB 160GB, Mac OS X (10.5.1), 20" iMac 2.2GHz 2GB 250GB

Posted on Jan 29, 2008 6:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2008 12:23 AM

This is a common problem, ussually due to a bug in the Apply To Enclosed function in the Info Window. There are a bunch of folders that have been deemed "special" by the powers that be (like /System, /Library, your home directory and the first level of folders inside it etc), and to protect them they applied a 'everyone deny delete' ACL to those folders so users can't rename/move/delete them because they are required by the OS. If you select one of these folders and open an Info Window to it, and choose the "Apply To Enclosed" function in the Sharing & Permissions section, it will apply this 'everyone deny delete' ACL to all files and folders contained in that folder...

With that said, lets verify that this is in fact the problem. I assume the problem occurs with folder, and their contents, in your home directory (like your Desktop folder). Correct? Launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and type:

ls -ale ~/
ls -ale ~/Desktop

Copy paste the results into a reply and post it up. With that info we can figure out what is going on and give you the proper solution.

I would not recommend creating 'system' user that someone else suggested (don't know who that person is, but if I did I would smack them on the back of the head). Thats root. You don't want to run as root.
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2008 12:23 AM in response to kestrelcadd

This is a common problem, ussually due to a bug in the Apply To Enclosed function in the Info Window. There are a bunch of folders that have been deemed "special" by the powers that be (like /System, /Library, your home directory and the first level of folders inside it etc), and to protect them they applied a 'everyone deny delete' ACL to those folders so users can't rename/move/delete them because they are required by the OS. If you select one of these folders and open an Info Window to it, and choose the "Apply To Enclosed" function in the Sharing & Permissions section, it will apply this 'everyone deny delete' ACL to all files and folders contained in that folder...

With that said, lets verify that this is in fact the problem. I assume the problem occurs with folder, and their contents, in your home directory (like your Desktop folder). Correct? Launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and type:

ls -ale ~/
ls -ale ~/Desktop

Copy paste the results into a reply and post it up. With that info we can figure out what is going on and give you the proper solution.

I would not recommend creating 'system' user that someone else suggested (don't know who that person is, but if I did I would smack them on the back of the head). Thats root. You don't want to run as root.

Jan 30, 2008 6:49 AM in response to petrock

I already found a solution which seemed reasonable as it only changed my documents folder. I modified the command to run on my Documents folder as follows:

chmod -RN ~\Documents

I found this here:

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=6064959#6064959

I am now able to move folders and their contents as well as rename folders. I haven't tested other issues. Yet.

Here are the results:

ls ~ale ~/

total 24272
drwxr-xr-x+ 24 username staff 816 30 Jan 07:45 .
0: group:everyone deny delete
drwxr-xr-x 10 root admin 340 28 Jan 15:40 ..
-rwxrwxr-x+ 1 username staff 3 27 Jan 11:24 .CFUserTextEncoding
-rwxrwxr-x@ 1 username staff 12292 30 Jan 07:44 .DS_Store
drwxrwxr-x+ 3 username staff 102 28 Jan 11:34 .Trash
-rw------- 1 username staff 566 30 Jan 07:44 .bash_history
drwxrwxr-x+ 3 username staff 102 28 Jan 11:33 .cups
-rw------- 1 username staff 35 29 Jan 08:08 .lesshst
-rwxrwxr-x+ 1 username staff 46 29 Jan 08:28 .parallels_settings
drwx---r-x+ 4 username wheel 136 27 Jan 11:29 Desktop
-rw-r--r--@ 1 username staff 361 30 Jan 07:45 Desktop LS (Autosaved)
-rw-r--r-- 1 username staff 353 30 Jan 07:43 Desktop LS.txt
drwx---r-x 23 username wheel 782 28 Jan 10:54 Documents
drwxrwxr-x+ 26 username staff 884 29 Jan 20:29 Downloads
-rw-r--r-- 1 username staff 0 30 Jan 07:45 Home LS.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 username staff 1857 30 Jan 07:43 Home LS.txt

drwxrwxr-x+ 37 username staff 1258 29 Jan 16:23 Library
drwxrwxr-x+ 17 username staff 578 27 Jan 11:28 Movies
drwxrwxr-x+ 5 username staff 170 27 Jan 12:33 Music
-rwxrwxr-x+ 1 username staff 12378112 27 Jan 11:37 Parallels-Desktop-5584-Mac-en.dmg
drwxrwxr-x+ 33 username staff 1122 27 Jan 11:47 Pictures
drwxrwxr-x+ 5 username staff 170 27 Jan 11:24 Public
drwxrwxr-x+ 5 username staff 170 27 Jan 11:24 Sites
-rw-r--r-- 1 username staff 1725 30 Jan 07:42 results.txt

ls -ale ~/Desktop

total 0
drwx---r-x+ 4 username wheel 136 27 Jan 11:29 .
drwxr-xr-x+ 21 username staff 714 30 Jan 07:43 ..
-rwxrwxr-x+ 1 username staff 0 27 Jan 11:24 .localized
drwxrwxr-x@ 5 username staff 170 25 Jan 13:48 Burn Folder.fpbf

Thanks for looking into this, even though it seems to work now, I'd like to know if what I did is okay and if things will continue to work.

Regards,

Bruce

Jan 30, 2008 1:29 PM in response to kestrelcadd

kestrelcadd wrote:
chmod -RN ~\Documents

What that command does is remove all ACLs from the specified folder (Documents in this case), regardless of what the ACL actually is or does. However, that is not the proper fix because your home directory and the first level of sub-folders inside (i.e. Documents, Desktop etc) are supposed to have an ACL on it. I have seen that same suggestion from others and its usually by people who don't fully understand what ACLs do and what their used for by the OS. Removing all the ACLs may solve the immediate problem, but it will cause other, more subtle and hard to track down, issues.

Anyway, I was correct in my assumption that you have run the 'Apple to Enclosed' function on your home directory, which propagated the 'everyone deny delete' ACL down to every file/folder in your home directory. Here's how you fix it:

*sudo chmod -R +a "everyone deny delete" ~/* +Note: 'sudo' will cause it to ask for your admin password, but when you type it will not show the text. This is normal. Just make sure you type your password correctly. This command will add the 'every deny delete' ACL to everything inside your home directory. This is done so that the next command will succeed. If the next command encounters a file/folder that doesn't have this ACL on it, it will fail and bail out, ultimately leaving your home directory half fixed.+

*sudo chmod -R -a "everyone deny delete" ~/* +Note: This will remove the 'everyone deny delete' ACL from all files and folders in your home directory, the next command will add it back to where it needs to be+

*sudo chmod +a "everyone deny delete" ~/ ~/Desktop ~/Documents ~/Downloads ~/Library ~/Movies ~/Music ~/Pictures ~/Public ~/Public/Drop\ Box ~/Sites* +Note: This only applies the 'everyone deny delete' ACE to the folders listed, not their contents. These folders are required by the system, this ACE prevents you (or anyone else) from renaming, moving or deleting them (because they are required by the OS).+

Just copy/paste the bold text, one at a time, into a Terminal window and press return. That should do it. Good luck...

Jan 30, 2008 2:49 PM in response to kestrelcadd

Your welcome. However, these commands only reset the ACLs on your home folder to the way Apple intended. It does not change the posix permissions. To get your home directory back to the way it was when you first created it, you need to run the Reset Password utility in the Leopard Install DVD.

1) boot from your Leopard install CD.
2) Choose your language.
3) When the menubar appears, select Utilities->Reset Password.
4) In the window that appears, select your boot volume from the list at the top.
5) In the popup button below the volume list, select your user from the list.
6) Click the "Reset" button at the bottom of the window. This will reset the privs back to their default settings.
7) Repeat Steps 5 & 6 for every user on your machine who has this problem (except root).

Jan 30, 2008 3:05 PM in response to petrock

My problems with this started when all my volumes/drives got locked in 10.5.1 and I read about and used the chmod to unlock them. Am I talking Apples and Apples here?

Your procedures are for the Boot Drive/Home Directory. What about other volumes or drives that one might have installed in their machine. The lock situation changed many permissions that have affected not only 10.5.1, but also my old 10.4.11, just in case volume, and nothing is has been the same since.

Would a modified version of this procedure fix all permissions? Or would it be necessary for another more encompassing string. My goal is to get my whole machine, four drives consisting of 10 volumes/partitions back to the pre-10.5.1 lock permission change.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Jan 30, 2008 3:14 PM in response to TheGuyintheProjectionBooth

No, these chmod calls are specific to the problem that kestrelcadd was having. If your having permissions issues on a different volume or somewhere outside your home directory, then a different set of commands would probably be needed to fix them. However, I can't determine what those commands would be without knowing what the current state of your permissions on those volumes are. You should probably write up a separate thread so you don't hijack this one with your issue. Describe exactly what the problem is you are experiencing, what you have already done to try to fix the problem. The more descriptive the better. Post the link to the new thread in this one and I'll take a look.

Note: chmod does not change the 'locked' state of a volume/file/folder. It only changes permissions.

You do not have sufficient access privileges

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.