You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just reset my iPod classic 80GB

It was frozen, so I reset it using the 'click/menu' thing. After being reset, the "About" section is saying that I only have 7.1GB left out of the approximate 80GB to use when there is nothing on the iPod. No music, videos, pictures, etc. It says that about 60-something GB is being occupied by "Other".

Any ideas?

Dell, Windows XP

Posted on Jan 29, 2008 2:57 PM

5 replies

Jan 29, 2008 3:11 PM in response to A. Tupponce

Sounds like you might need to do a restore. Connect the iPod, start iTunes, click the restore button. Normally, this does two things - 1. Puts the device back to its "from factory" state (while maintaining the current firmware), and 2. wipes all content from the device. Since you say that there shouldn't be anything on the iPod, you don't have much to lose by trying.

Jan 29, 2008 3:36 PM in response to A. Tupponce

It sounds like the iPod's libray is trashed. The data is still there, but the record of how it is all organised and should be accessed has been lost. Provided you still have all the tunes on your computer the simplest thing to do is restore the iPod. If not, look up the manual recovery options (Two-way Street: Moving Music Off the iPod) in this post by Zevoneer http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6060106&#6060106

tt2

Just reset my iPod classic 80GB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.