Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quad2.6 -> Octo2.8

Im not sure if this is a question for macpro section or bootcamp, however i was considering on upgrading (selling towards) the Octo 2.8 MacPro.

my main concern is i have a 500gb internal drive in Bay2 for XP, if i remove that from there and slap it in the new Octo 2.8 will it still properly boot and function? or would i have to start over?

(because from my prior experience from building custom machines, id just have to re-resgister XP if it was similar hardware (mobo/cpu) but not sure if it will work okay?

thanks!

=)

MacPro2.66 : : 2GB : : 500GB : : ATI X1900XT // MacBookPro 2.2 : : 2GB : : 120GB, Mac OS X (10.4.9), XP Pro Sp2 : : 500GB / / iPod 30GB 5th Gen. Black

Posted on Jan 30, 2008 8:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2008 9:21 PM

Hi AppleNewton,

the need for you to reactivate is quite obvious.
If and how the 'old' XP installation will work in a new MP is something for 'Trial-and-Error'.
Since the CPUs are from the same Design-Line and the Intel chipset (5400 - 5000) too, chances tend to be quite in your favour.
Personally I would propose a backup of everything important, just in case.

Good Luck

Stefan
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2008 9:21 PM in response to AppleNewton

Hi AppleNewton,

the need for you to reactivate is quite obvious.
If and how the 'old' XP installation will work in a new MP is something for 'Trial-and-Error'.
Since the CPUs are from the same Design-Line and the Intel chipset (5400 - 5000) too, chances tend to be quite in your favour.
Personally I would propose a backup of everything important, just in case.

Good Luck

Stefan

Jan 31, 2008 5:18 AM in response to AppleNewton

Thanks fortuny & The hatter,

i dont mind the phone activation, a whole lot better than having to reinstall all those dreaded updates and patches and everything else lol.

but its no big deal, i figured id get some ideas before i delve into looking at getting an Octo-core.
Im not sure if i use my Leopard install disc to load up the bootcamp drivers from there into the XP partition it might "Octo-proof" itwith the drivers for the hardware used in the newer macpros? lol no idea, but worth a guess.

BTW what are some good utilities of making a clone of an XP Drive?

thanks again!

Jan 31, 2008 9:30 PM in response to AppleNewton

Hi,

I still use WinClone http://www.twocanoes.com/winclone/ for a full image backup oy my XP. Be ware that WinClone only works when your Windows partition uses NTFS file system.

As for the dreaded updates and patches, have a look at this little helper tool from the german computer magazine c't http://www.heise-security.co.uk/articles/80682
It downloads the updates and patches from the Microsoft website in one run and makes an offline update CD from them, which you can use again and again.
I find it quite helpful.

Have Fun

Stefan

Feb 1, 2008 7:22 AM in response to AppleNewton

I actually moved a drive from a 2.66 that had bootcamp on it and it worked fine. I did not recall any issues with the reactivation. Now, I only had the drive in there for a little while, so I am not sure what happens when it does that little spin to the internet if you install a new MS program and it determines if you have a "Genuine" MS product. I am going to go out on a limb and say that the Apple users installing MS products maybe less likely to swipe the MS windows (but I could be wrong).

Quad2.6 -> Octo2.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.