Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac --> phone , simple (not easy) question on iSync

I have a simple, question.

Is it possible to configure iSync, with a nokia (E61) phone, to permit _only sync from mac to phone_ and not viceversa ?? (Mac-->>phone)

Is the symmetric (Mac<<-->>Phone) mode standard or related to the single plugin ??

Thanks

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.1), Macbook, Powerbook, MAcplus

Posted on Feb 1, 2008 7:27 AM

10 replies

Feb 1, 2008 8:04 AM in response to socheesome

The synchronizing of data amongst all registered devices is the standard (and only) way iSync works.

If it were just copying and overwriting data from Mac to Phone, in one direction - it wouldn't be synchronizing the data.

When syncing a device for the first time, you do get the option to overwrite the phone contents, but from then on changes made on the phone are propagated to the Mac and vice-versa.

Why would you only want data to go from Mac > Phone? What happens if you have added or amended Contacts or Calendar events on the phone? If it didn't sync those changes back to the Mac, you would have to re-do them all manually on the Mac.

Feb 1, 2008 8:15 AM in response to Julian Wright

Thanks for answer.
I have mac in a corporate environment and the system is: Zimbra--Mac--Phone

For me is not acceptable to have the risk where a wrong phone entry can change any address/calendar in my mac and on corporate zimbra.

This happened some days ago, a problem with the phone deleted my appns on MAC.

For me is almost mandatory to have a single direction sync (as with other systems).

Thanks RA

Feb 1, 2008 8:36 AM in response to socheesome

For me is not acceptable to have the risk where a wrong phone entry can change any address/calendar in my mac and on corporate zimbra.

The only way you could have a wrong phone entry is if you enter or amend it wrongly on the phone.

But surely this also applies if you entered or amended an entry wrongly on the Mac? So is the risk not the same?

If you don't make any changes to data on the phone, there would be nothing to sync back to the Mac anyway.

Feb 1, 2008 8:57 AM in response to Julian Wright

Yes I can propagate en error from mac but is quite difficult.
Usually the source for address/calendar is the Zimbra system and the Mac is only "passthrough" environment and mobile is only viewer environment ( when I'm not in the office).

But flying back to your first answer this option seems not possible.

Have you ever used the utility "iSync Plug-in Maker", I'll check to verify if I can customise or build a standard plugin.

Just try.

Feb 1, 2008 10:25 AM in response to Julian Wright

Julian Wright wrote:
Why would you only want data to go from Mac > Phone?

Because I don't make any changes on my phone. iCal/Address Book are my master records, and editing stuff on my razr v3 is a real pain. I have to 'Reset All Devices...' every time I sync, otherwise I notice additions I made in Address Book are not added to the phone.

I guess its time to get an iPhone... I hear those things integrate pretty seamlessly with Macs.

Feb 1, 2008 10:41 AM in response to socheesome

Yes, I've used the Plugin maker considerably. But since iSync's main function is to sync in both directions it won't allow you create a one-way plugin. It basically just sets phone identity and fields mapping options, although is much more complicated than that. You also can't load existing plugins into it for customising, so you'd have to start from scratch.

Feb 13, 2008 6:12 AM in response to socheesome

I have to agree with socheesome. There has to be an option for which device you want to be correct. You should be given an option for the phone the Mac or let you choose when a conflict comes up. I've tried syncing my V3 Razor with my PowerBook. I built my database from scratch, trying to match all of my contacts in Outlook. On my PC, I could set a preference for my phone to be right, or my PC to be right. I've given up trying to sync with my Mac because all I get is duplicate entries in both Address Book and on my phone. Address Book also does a VERY poor job of importing Contacts from Outlook (which I tried). If Apple wants people to switch from PC's to Macs, they're going to have to do a better job at this sort of thing.

Mac --> phone , simple (not easy) question on iSync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.