Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When syncing using itunes.... OTHER what is "other"

music,pictures,video,other.

I wish Apple would let us see what the files are that are marked as OTHER.

I would like to delete "OTHER FILES" but iphone refuses to let me see these files as if they are never there but can be seen when syncing up using itunes.

AMD 6000, Windows XP Pro, Gaming pc

Posted on Feb 1, 2008 12:12 PM

6 replies

Feb 1, 2008 12:21 PM in response to Inachu

The "Other" is the space taken up by the Firmware Files and the Database File that lists which music file is which. The Database File is needed because all the music you put on is renamed into 4 letter Code-words to help fight music-sharing piracy, and the Database File tells the iPod what songs are on it, all of the info associated with those songs, and where to find those songs.

Feb 1, 2008 12:53 PM in response to Inachu

Also "other" also holds failed sync data.

example: syncing a large amount of data your phone resets and iTunes reports that it can no longer write to the disk. That failed data now rest in the "other" section and can no longer be used and will take away from your total storage area. The only way to free up this space is to reset the phone from the settings > general menu on the phone.

With the recent 1.1.3 its not uncommon to see others in the 180-200mb range.

So if you have a rather large other (ie 500mb, 1GB, 2GB or more) you more than likely had the phone restart in the middle of the sync.

When syncing using itunes.... OTHER what is "other"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.