Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacting Human Resources?

Hi!

I've applied for a few positions at my local Apple Store (Manchester Arndale, UK) a few months ago and, with the exception of the automated response email, I've not heard anything about them.

Has anyone got a way to contact Apple HR by email or 'phone?

Andrew

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.1), Yes, it has eight processors...

Posted on Feb 2, 2008 12:48 PM

18 replies

Feb 3, 2008 1:05 PM in response to AJ Langhorn

Andrew,

i work for a global corporation, usa-hq, but we're in 100+ countries direct and the rest of the world through our channel partners

over the years i've hired a lot of people, mostly consultants with specific technical/industry knowledge, i'm based in uk but am the director responsible for these services across emea

this isn't apple/retail stores

the rules don't vary that much in other multinationals i know...

the content of emails/online applications is almost the last thing i care about, unsolicited emails from recruitment agencies are deleted without mercy, i'll only look at emails from a search consultant that i've briefed on a specific position

i get the odd email from people going direct who managed to get hold of my address, if they look good i might reply and refer them to hr

when i post an advert with hr to publish, i get the responses, but they are really only a filter

if someone actually talks to me, or one of my team sees something in them and refers them to me, then i'll always take some time to talk with them

it is up to you, but if it is me hiring, the personal approach always has the best chance

i expect callers to have made the effort to do some research to find out what we're about - many don't!

if you want to work in an apple store then it is a sales position, you need to sell yourself, that may sound like a cliche, but it's true

that doesn't mean you should present yourself as a generic apple clone! individuals are much more interesting (caveat: some companies do seem to prefer clones)

my advice would be spend some time in the store and talk to the staff when they're not busy, then see if that can get you a chat with the manager

whatever you do, i hope things work out for you!

Feb 2, 2008 2:03 PM in response to ali brown

Thanks for your quick reponse, Ali: it's really appreciated!

Seeing as I live in the UK, I suppose apple.com/uk/contact would apply more to me. There's not much in the way of contacting about HR on here, so which department would I contact - ie which is likely to have connections to other internal departments? I can only find 'phone numbers for the Media Relations team, pre-sales dept. and tech support.

Who should I contact? Or, if someone's got an email address, that would be welcome, too!

null

Feb 2, 2008 5:11 PM in response to AJ Langhorn

You're Welcome Andrew!

Sorry, here are the UK Contact Options.

"...if someone's got an email address,..."
There is no Email contact for your purposes.

Have you reviewed this Job Opportunities / Common Questions?

Quoted from that site:
"I've submitted my resume. What happens next?
We will send you an email confirmation letting you know that we have received your resume. If your skills are a match for an open position, we will notify you and set up an interview. We keep resumes on file for future opportunities."

And Thank You, for extending the courtesy, of awarding User uploaded file User uploaded file in  Discussions, as this is not a requirement, nor mandatory, but is much appreciated!

ali b

Feb 3, 2008 3:37 AM in response to AJ Langhorn

did you try going to the store and asking if you could talk informally to the manager?

do it when it is quiet, try finding a friendly member of staff and asking when might be best and if they have any hints and tips, they might give you an introduction

although the hr department runs the process, web-based submissions may just funnel into the mailbox of the hiring manager, if the manager thinks you are ok then next time there's an opening you'll be more than just another email

if you are really interested in a position and have a passion for it then the direct approach is more likely to get the manager's attention that a fire and forget online submission

Feb 3, 2008 8:22 AM in response to AJ Langhorn

Andrew,

"...I suppose I just have to sit tight and wait, then...?"
Maybe.

As I've never applied, I can only speculate about how the process works.

"...I didn't realise that managers had that sort of power."
They may not.

Bear in mind that, unless um, is currently an employee, was an employee, or has applied to be, an employee of Apple, he/she is also only making a suggestion. And a good one at that!

Have you ever considered, applying for a job, at an Apple Certified Reseller In Manchester?

Or an Apple Authorized Service Provider In Manchester?

Some businesses function as reseller, and service provider, so are listed in both links above.

If you have are, or have been, employed, at one of those, your chances of being hired by Apple, may improve.

Also, you may wish to consider, some Apple Training.
You may be able to become, an Apple Certified Technician.

ali b

Feb 3, 2008 11:02 AM in response to ali brown

Didn't get time to ring the Store today, I'll do it some time this week on the way home from college.

Hopefully, I'll get a job! 😀

Failing that, I might apply for a job at an Apple Certified Reseller. Although it lacks the appeal of the Apple Store, I still get to help people with their Macs! 😀

Just a quick question: does anyone have an email address for an Apple Store? I'm sure I'll be able to work it out, if someone gives me an example of how they go.

Andrew

Message was edited by: AJ Langhorn

Feb 8, 2008 10:28 AM in response to AJ Langhorn

AJ Langhorn wrote:
Um - would a face-to-face chat work better than a 'phone call?

Always. I run a retail store (not an Apple one) and I can tell you that a person who makes the effort for a face to face meeting scores extra points with me. Phone calls are just too easy to brush off.

I would, however, make sure you go during a slow part of the day - probably early afternoon on a Monday or Tuesday. Nothing irks me more than a person demanding my time during a busy weekend.

Contacting Human Resources?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.