Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone in Belgium?

Hey you all,

It is very sad to see that the whole European community is flooded whit this wonderfull piece of art.
In Belgium however, we can not by or use the iphone in a legal way.

To put pressure on the governement it would be a good idea to spread a few hundred phones over the Belgian Providers to see at the impact. It could be the first joint venture of providers..

Steve, you can put me on the list of test people. if not I will be forced to by mine in a country near by and unlock it.

G5

Posted on Feb 3, 2008 2:42 AM

4 replies

Feb 3, 2008 3:05 AM in response to Fist

Fist,

I understand your frustration. However, the iPhone is only available in the UK, France and Germany, at present, and not the whole EU as you say. So Belgium is not alone in feeling left out. There are several things you should understand:

1. It is not only Apple that is concerned here, but also your network providers, in that for the iPhone to be released in Belgium, or any other country, then the network provider must reach some sort of deal with Apple over exclusive rights and revenue sharing. This is not to everyone's liking, so it may be that your providers in Belgium simply don't agree with Apple's conditions at present.

2. The iPhone is currently only GPRS/EDGE enabled, though the 3G models are coming out later in the year. But if your providers are not EDGE enabled, then there is a considerable cost in upgrading their towers. It may be that they simply think it's more cost efficient to wait until the 3G model is released.

3. This is a user-to-user forum, and Apple emloyees, much less Steve Jobs, do not necessarily venture here. So your plea may be going onto deaf or at least absent (Apple) ears. The best thing to do is to send Apple feedback directly at: http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

I hope this helps and that you get the iPhone soon.

Cheers.

Message was edited by: jia10

Feb 4, 2008 3:09 AM in response to jia10

Hey Jia,

thanks or the information.

In the Netherlands, the iphone is also avalible.

The crusial point in Belgium that a Mobile phone can not be sold as a one deal package with a provider. It is illegal in Belgium.
So Apple can choose a provider to work with but must give the customer the change to choose his own provider. And so the phone must be sold unlocked as well.

Thanks for the feedback link. I hope that more Belgians will use it to get a reaction from apple and the belgian providers.

Regards

Feb 4, 2008 3:13 AM in response to Fist

Hi Fist,

I think you must be mistaken, as the iPhone is not available in the Netherlands, at least not legally.

As long as Apple continue with their present business model, it will only be available on the one carrier. So for countries where this illegal (how enlightened of you!), you will not see an iPhone there soon, unless there are different laws for 3G phones, in which case, you may see one there later in the year.

Iphone in Belgium?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.