Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Soundtrack Pro vs Logic Express vs Logic Pro

Could someone please explain, in words comprehensible to the layperson who is just getting into music creation, what the differences between these programs are?

They seem like they do essentially the same thing except that Logic Pro has more instruments and features.

Would I benefit in any way by getting Logic Pro instead of Soundtrack Pro to compose music? I've been composing music with the Apple Loops in Soundtrack Pro and really like it, so I'm wondering if Logic Express or Pro would make things even better, or if they would be a waste of money.

The music is being composed for a haunted house venue where it's going to create an atmosphere, not where truly great music is needed. In other words, it's probably fine if it's nothing but artful combinations of Apple loops, but I'd like to make them as artful as possible, if that makes any sense.

Many thanks for any thoughts.

D

Posted on Jun 26, 2005 7:41 PM

13 replies

Jun 27, 2005 8:48 AM in response to David Dennis

STP is absolutely not intended for music creation, it's obviously created with post for video in mind. You can do some music stuff with it, but it's a very awkward tool for music.

If you want to do music, you're better off getting Logic Express for the same price, it's much more suited for music. And if you're only doing simple looped music, just get Garage Band, it looks like it has all the loop features (and possibly more music features) than STP for a fraction of the price.

Jul 7, 2005 11:48 AM in response to Stash-

Form my experience, STPro is a great program, but for what you're looking for, it's not going to work. GarageBand will do all the Apple Loops, although Soundtrack comes with more cinematic ones I think... To be honest, once you get into it, you will want to do more than just build loops, even if it's just for fun. Making music can be very addictive indeed, and there are always new things that you will want to do!

Oct 30, 2005 6:38 PM in response to David Dennis

STP's lack of MIDI is the killer for me.
I love STP and would like to use it for all my Music Making Endeavors but since it does NOT have MIDI/Virtual Instrument support... it's No Good to me as a DAW. (but I don't think that's what it was made for)

If you're into making music you'll definitely want to explore the world of MIDI and VSTi's. Unless of course you can afford to buy a good Synthesizer with tons of sounds. Then you'd just be able to record that in as Audio. VSTi's just open up a whole nother world in my book.

Oct 30, 2005 9:14 PM in response to Lamont Dennis

STP is NOT desgined for MUSIC creation (why do people keep thinking that)

STP is an EDITING progam totally different then GB/LE/LP

you can use STP as a sample editor for programs like LE/LP that are more music creation then audio editing

for POST audio work (which is what it is designed for) it is GREAT, very fast and smooth on my system as well

DAVE

Nov 17, 2005 6:15 PM in response to tekarts

Wow. That was fairly sweeping. Don't use STP cos it's good for just about nothing as it's too unstable to use reliably. What on earth makes you say that? Many film studios (including the one I work for) has STP integrated into its workflow. So no, that is not true at all, and there is no point in saying so.
Try cubase for serious music/audio composition. Well, yes, you could try Cubase, or you could try Live, Logic, ProTools, Digital Performer, Sonar, Nuendo, or many other apps capable of the same thing. To be honest, you could quite possibly create a song on STP. I see no reason why not. For me it's not the greatest as it lacks midi, but there is no reason why you would get any better sound from Cubase as you would from it. It has the same audio engine as Logic as far as I know.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to rant, but I see that it's your 2nd post, and you obviously have very little constructive to say. The idea is that you have to qualify your replies, or noone will bother listening to you.

Soundtrack Pro vs Logic Express vs Logic Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.