Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change GUEST's dock ?

Hi I created a guest account so my gf and friends won't mess up my space.

it's great cuz it deletes everything after log off (I think ? correct me if i'm wrong) so no trash left.

But I would like to customize the guest dock.

Everytime I change the dock in the guest account, when I log off and log in again, it reverts back to default.

Any way to customize the default dock or simple the guest dock ?

Thank you !!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.1), Intel Core 2 Duo 2.6 Ghz, 4Gb RAM

Posted on Feb 3, 2008 3:29 PM

8 replies

Feb 3, 2008 4:10 PM in response to Uge

Follow this how-to: ( http://www.michaelsmac.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=394). It shows you how to totally customize the Guest account and make it stay that way. You just have to run some commands in Terminal, but you can do it all by copying and pasting from the website. I used it to customize my Guest account and it worked great.

EDIT: Digi H beat me to it by a few minutes. Darn those SuperBowl commercials that I have to watch. But I'll back up his post saying that that's a great article to follow.

Message was edited by: skidogallard

Message was edited by: skidogallard

Feb 3, 2008 4:10 PM in response to Uge

A couple of ways come to mind... hacking the "User Template" is one, but the more legitimate way is probably to configure the "Guest" account through ' MCXSettings' (the system that "Parental Controls" works through). Download the "Server Admin Tools" from Apple, and try playing around with "Workgroup Manager.app" - you will probably be able to figure it out from there...
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/serveradmintools105.html

Feb 4, 2008 5:31 PM in response to Uge

That hint you starred has its drawbacks. For example, every new user account you create from now on will also have the same Dock settings.

I'd go with biovizier's suggestion of using Workgroup Manager. It doesn't involve hacking with the System folder and only affects the guest account.

Here how to do it step by step:

1) Download and install the Leopard Server Admin Tools from Apple.
http://tinyurl.com/ypgunk

2) Make sure the gest account is logged out.

3) Open Workgroup Manager.

4) Select the guest account, click Preferences in the tool bar.

5) Click Dock on the right side. Click "Manage always" at the top.
Add/remove the Dock items you want.

6) Uncheck "Merge with user's Dock" at the bottom.

7) Quit Workgroup Manager.

Piece of cake!

Feb 7, 2008 8:10 AM in response to Uge

I have a third solution I just found out:
Make your settings you want to do in your admin account, in my case the dock and Safari home page.

go to ~/Library/Preferences/
Copy the setting files you need to the desktop, in my case:
com.apple.dock.plist
com.apple.safari.plist

Open /system/Library/User Template/
You won't have access to the content of this folder, so get info and make so you have read access.
go in your language, in my case sv.lproj
open Library, open preferences, and make you able to write to this folder using the get info box.
Copy the items from the desktop.
Get info for the preferences folder, remove your write access, and click the gear button and select "use for included objects".
close the folders, repair permissions using disk utility.

Works ok, no need for applications (I tried Workgroup manager, but didn't found settings for Safari start page) and no need to use the terminal.

But I've found a downside... It adds a few things to the dock after the account has been created.
Its adding Time Machine and another download-folder.

How to change GUEST's dock ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.