5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2008 7:54 PM by Old Toad
Robert Lindsley Level 1 Level 1 (105 points)
Hello,

I would like to export my photos from iPhoto 08. I have around 6,000 photos in various albums.

What I would like to do is export my photos into a local directory with the Album name (in iPhoto 08) as the directory name on my hard drive. The photos need to stay in their original resolution.

I can't find any programs or plugs-ins that can do that. Has anybody found something that could help me out?

Thanks,
Robert.

iMac flat screen, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • Old Toad Level 10 Level 10 (122,245 points)
    Robert:

Create a new folder with the name of the album on the desktop (or wherever) and then export the photos via the File->Export->File Export menu option. That will give you your full sized photos in the named folder as you want.

Do you Twango?

TIP: For insurance against the iPhoto database corruption that many users have experienced I recommend making a backup copy of the Library6.iPhoto database file and keep it current. If problems crop up where iPhoto suddenly can't see any photos or thinks there are no photos in the library, replacing the working Library6.iPhoto file with the backup will often get the library back. By keeping it current I mean backup after each import and/or any serious editing or work on books, slideshows, calendars, cards, etc. That insures that if a problem pops up and you do need to replace the database file, you'll retain all those efforts. It doesn't take long to make the backup and it's good insurance. iPhoto doesn't not have to be closed to run it, just idle.

I've written an Automator workflow application (requires Tiger), iPhoto dB File Backup, that will copy the selected Library6.iPhoto file from your iPhoto Library folder to the Pictures folder, replacing any previous version of it. It's compatible with iPhoto 08 libraries. You can download it at Toad's Cellar. Be sure to read the Read Me pdf file.
  • Robert Lindsley Level 1 Level 1 (105 points)
    Hey!

Thanks for your response. Your solution will definitely work, but I have around 70 albums in my iPhoto library. Is there something that will do the task automatically? Could a script be written for this?

Thanks!
    Robert.
    I suppose a script could be written to do that. I can't help you with scripting however, You might ask over in the Applescript forum.
  • Robert Lindsley Level 1 Level 1 (105 points)
    Hey there!

Sorry I haven't got back sooner, I've been travelling.

You don't know of any program I can buy that does this, do you? I'm guessing an Applescript could be written to do this, but I'm surprised that this need hasn't come up before.

Is there any program available already that can do this?

Thanks!
    Robert.
    I don't know of any application that will do that. Ask in the Applescript forum.