Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't use scanner with Airport Extreme

I just got a Canon MX700 printer/scanner and I cannot use the scanner through my Airport Extreme. It works if I connect the scanner to my computer directly via USB. How do I get this to work through my Airport?

iMac Intel and Powerbook G4, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Feb 4, 2008 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2008 9:21 AM

Simple answer - you cannot.

If you connect a multifunction printer via USB to an Airport Express or Airport Extreme Base Station, only the printer function will work. This is not a bug - this limitation is imposed by the design of these Airport devices.
5 replies

Feb 21, 2008 7:26 PM in response to Waterside

You may want to considering selling your Canon MX700 all-in-one and buying either a Lexmark X4875 Professional or a Lexmark X6575 Professional which support 802.11b/g/n wireless networks. Keep the USB 2.0 port for your external NAS (Network Attached Storage) drive. I contacted Lexmark and they provide support for customers running both OS X Tiger and OS X Leopard. Their pricing is also cheaper than Canon.

Can't use scanner with Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.