Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! One big mess!!

Hello,
I desperately need help with the mess that I have made in iphoto.

Here's the low-down:

For many years I worked on my perfectly organised iphoto library - with tagged photos, smart folders, you name it.

Then one day my powerbook started acting up and so I did an entire back up using .mac back-up software. Then low and behold one week later my hard drive died and I had to have a new one installed, along with complete new system instalment. The guys who installed the hard drive managed to save some of what was on the broken hard drive, including the iphoto library.

So; I imported all the photos from the iphoto folder that had been saved. And it imported everything - ALL the thumbnails, and of course none of the smart folders, tags etc.

Now I have a stupid amount of photos; over 16,000 that are impossible to sort. Including sometimes up to five or six duplicates! It's HORRIBLE - and iphoto runs DEAD slow!

Of course I have added new photos since then too just to complicate matters.

What I want to know now is what to do??!!

I would like to delete everything that I imported up until the day I made that back-up. (After that its all new photos)

I would like to save all the new photos.

And then I would like to re-import the old original photos from the back-up that I made including smart folders, tags etc.

I don't know how to extract stuff from the back-up folder and then I wouldn't know how to import the photos properly either.

I hope this makes some sort of sense!!!

So can anyone help??? :-/

Nicole in Berlin.

Powerbook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Feb 5, 2008 3:21 AM

9 replies

Feb 5, 2008 3:42 AM in response to nic_berlin

Nicole

Welcome to the Apple Discussions.

This is a little easier than you might think.

1. To recover the NEW photos... do you recall the day this issue started? Great if you can say January 1, but even if you can be approximate you'll still get close.

So, New Smart Album -> Date -> Is After -> January 1

Will find all the pics since January 1. Then select those pics and go File -> Export and export them to a folder on the desktop.

That's the new photos recovered.

The error you made in the first place was to confuse restoring from a back up with Importing.

To restore from a back up you simply use the Back Up software to put the Stuff back in in it's location (in this case, the Pictures Folder) and then launch iPhoto. There's no importing involved. If the back up is good, then it will simply see the restored library and continue on as if nothing happened.

So, trash the library you currently have.

Use the restore command in your Back Up Utility to restore the Library, and off you go.

If you're not quite sure how to use the restore command, check the help for your Utility or post on the .mac back up forum here:

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=956

Regards

TD

Feb 10, 2008 1:16 AM in response to Yer_Man

Help!

For one reason or another I had to reformat my Leopard 10.5 Mac.
So I backed up my iPhoto library folder to an external disk.

Once I completed my System install and opened my iPhoto, it asked where my library was and I pointed it to it.

Everything opened all right except photos from the entire last 6 months of 2007 and the first month of 2008 has completely disappeared.

And they are also not in the originals nor modified folders.

What can I do?
Have they been lost forever?

For any help I will be grateful.

Rico

Feb 10, 2008 8:59 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you for your reply Terence.

I have searched with Spotlight with no luck.

Photos of my children from the holidays gone!

Can you tell me how is it possible a straight copy of the iPhoto Library to an external drive could result in some folders missing when iPhoto asked to locate the library?
And can you tell me if it is worthwhile to buy and try software such as Camera Salvage who claims can even find erased and formatted files?

Thanks again.

Rico

Feb 10, 2008 9:14 AM in response to enricosoekarno

Rico

Can you tell me how is it possible a straight copy of the iPhoto Library to an external drive could result in some folders missing when iPhoto asked to locate the library

No I can't, but most likely this is an accident that occurred during that copy between disks.

And can you tell me if it is worthwhile to buy and try software such as Camera Salvage who claims can even find erased and formatted files?

File Salvage has a trial mode

In Trial Mode the user will be able to scan for files but will be unable to recover them.

So at least you can try before you buy.

Regards

TD

Feb 11, 2008 8:03 PM in response to Yer_Man

Again thank you for your reply Terence.

Will try what you suggest with Salvage soon...

I actually have another question regarding very frequent freezes which is the reason I re-formatted my Mac in the first place, which then resulted in the iPhoto problem...
Always getting told to restart then send the bug report to Apple which doesn't help me one little bit as I don't understand the language...
Well, it's happening again and I can't work because of it, got 2 book deadlines coming up!

But I suppose I have to find the appropriate forum huh?
Will try to do that now.

Thanks a ton.

Rico

Help! One big mess!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.