Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

How do I get rid of Windows shares in Finder?

527 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2008 1:47 AM by PeteTheViking RSS
PeteTheViking Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Feb 5, 2008 11:40 AM
We're a little Mac group sharing an office with loads of PC users and a lot of them send out NETBIOS broadcasts which clutter up our Finder sidebars. Almost all of them seem to have file-shairng turned on...

Does anyone know if there's a way to reject incoming NETBIOS packets on a Leopard machine so that we only see our own OS X servers and not all their PCs?

I'd be really grateful if someone could offer a hint. We want nothing to do with that Windows stuff.

Rgds, /Peter
iMac, Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.1)
  • Tim Haigh Level 7 Level 7 (24,190 points)
    I have no windows computers on my network at the moment so cannot test this but the common ports for windows sharing are

137 UDP Windows Internet Naming Service (WINS) - -
    138 UDP NETBIOS Datagram Service
    139 TCP Server Message Block (SMB)
    445 TCP Microsoft SMB Domain

You could block these ports in your macs firewall but this may prevent you from connecting to windows sharepoints.

If your not familiar with configuring IPFW to configure the firewall then I would suggest you have look at Waterroof
    Mac Mini Core Duo 1.8ghz ; Black MacBook 2ghz, Mac OS X (10.5), Be Pro 24megabit ADSL2+
  • rvaro Level 3 Level 3 (860 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 5, 2008 10:06 PM (in response to PeteTheViking)
    i bring me mac to work for the most part and we have shared files from PC's in our network... i just eject the user from my shared bar and they go away until the next time you come back which is fine by me...

cheers 
    MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, Wired Mighty Mouse, Mac OS X (10.5.1), MacBook 1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 60GB HD  iPod nano (3) 4GB

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.