Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

shooting tethered with aperture

Hello out there, could anyone tell me how to shoot tethered?

powerbook g4, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Feb 5, 2008 9:05 PM

10 replies

Feb 6, 2008 4:57 AM in response to fabulon

I've been shooting tethered a lot lately and it is something that Aperture makes very handy. Especially when doing product photography using tilt-shift lenses which have manual focus. After the capture, the image arrives in Aperture (I prefer seeing it first in full screen mode) and I can check my focus with the loop tool. This rocks! Honestly, this feature alone has saved me having to do a re-shoot after conventional download of the images from the CF card. Not to mention that client's flip when they see the images on a huge display a second after the shot! Its been a great, un-expected marketing tool.

There is a lot of info out there on Google explaining how to do this. I would suggest going here:

http://automator.us/aperture/example-04.html

http://www.apple.com/uk/pro/techniques/aperture/tethered.html

http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2006/12/05/tethered-shooting-in-aperture.html

Based upon the specs of the computer you are working on, I'm curious to learn if you experience any difficulties.

Hope this helps!

ChristopherDavid

Message was edited by: ChristopherDavid

Feb 6, 2008 6:55 AM in response to ChristopherDavid

I haven't had the same experience using Aperture for tethered shooting. I tend to shooting people and shoot faster than product shots. I only send low rez (300k) Jpegs and keep the RAWS on a card in camera yet the loading of these jpegs into Aperture using the hot folder action is quite slow.

Eventually the script get overwhelmed by the influx of images and starts SPEAKING out loud, the error message including the reciting of the file path, for EVERY jpeg. This is regardless of your setting for speaking errors being off. I eventually have to mute y machine and wait several minutes for it to finish reciting the errors. the importing of the images then tries to catach up,and misses sme images causing you to wonder if you are seeing everything in Aperture.

Since Leopard, I haven't managed to get that hot folder action to work and I use the Cover Flow view in the finder. No editing capabilities except the ability to send ot picks to iphoto. So ironically, I don't use Aperture for my actually shooting only for post work.

This is one area of the app which sorely needs to be looked at. I have been shooting tethered since 2001 with a wide variety of cameras and software. It use dot be a real niche for camera makers but now that Dslr's are bing used in way traditionally reserved for medium format, I think tethered shooting will be far ore popular.

Feb 21, 2008 10:08 AM in response to Jade Leary

I wouldn't make that claim Jade, as a huge number of current, popular SLRs from Canon and others are not supported by the tether feature. If you're lucky enough to have one that is, then you're set, but many are not.

I use a Canon EOS 30D which does not work with tether. I set up simple folder actions using Automator, which is updated for Aperture 2.0, so that shots are automatically imported to the project of my choosing when I shoot using Canon's remote software. It's super simple to set up, so let me know if you need any directions.

Feb 21, 2008 2:33 PM in response to KBeat

KBeat,

Could you give me details on how to set up tethered shooting the way you have? I don't really know how to use Automator or anything. This is my start at shooting tethered, so it's all new to me. I am shooting with a 1Ds Mk III. I know there is some Hot Folder script, but wasnt sure if it works with Aperture 2. Thanks for any help.

Feb 21, 2008 4:06 PM in response to VWStudios

Unfortunately the 1Ds Mark III is another of those that doesn't work with tether. I've been compiling a list in this thread which you can check out:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1393829&tstart=75

Anyway, using Aperture to accomplish the task is pretty simple. You'll of course need to use Canon's EOS Utility software to do the remote capture. It's better than Aperture anyway, since it'll actually let you change the settings on the camera remotely as well (Aperture simply lets you click the shutter).

Once you have the Canon software set up and running, you'll choose a folder to capture the photos to. This can be any folder you like, named anything you like. Within Aperture, create a new project or use and existing project. Do the following:

1. Open Automator
2. Choose a "Custom" workflow
3. You can narrow the action list down by choosing "Photos" under library, and then find the Aperture Icon with "Import Photos" and drag it to the area on the right.
4. Choose your project from the drop down menu, then select "Import by reference" if you want Aperture to leave the photos where they are and just reference them. Leave it unchecked if you want them imported to the Aperture library. You can also choose to have them deleted after the import if you'd like.
5. Once you've set up the action with your project and import preferences, go to the file menu and choose "Save as Plug In." Name the action "Tether" or another appropriate name.
6. In the first drop down menu choose "Folder Action"
7. In the second drop down menu choose the folder where you have your Canon captured shots going and click "save".

That's it! Now every time you take a photo using the Canon software, the photos will automatically be imported to the project of your choosing. Good luck!

May 1, 2008 9:12 AM in response to fabulon

Guy's need some help here. I have a Canon 40d and know that AP2 does not support tethered shooting. However, I connected by old digital Rebel, which Apple says is supported - but having problems.

Aperture recognizes the camera , displays the tether hud. I click on capture - nothing happens. I take a shot and see if AP2 recognizes this action and nothing.

Anybody have any ideas what I may doing wrong or if there is a known bug?

Thanks.

shooting tethered with aperture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.