Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two versions of VLC

I have VLC installed and I updated it to the newest version (0.8.6d). I previously had version 0.8.6c installed.
When I click on a media file and try and open it using "open with" I am presented with both choices of VLC.
If I choose to open with version 0.8.6c it does indeed open it with that older version.
I used Spotlight to look for VLC and it only shows one copy in Applications.
Any ideas on how to get rid of that older choice?

<Edited by Moderator>

Intel iMac 17", Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Feb 6, 2008 6:19 AM

5 replies

Feb 6, 2008 1:02 PM in response to Michael Sullivan

Michael Sullivan wrote:
I have VLC installed and I updated it to the newest version (0.8.6d). I previously had version 0.8.6c installed.
When I click on a media file and try and open it using "open with" I am presented with both choices of VLC.
If I choose to open with version 0.8.6c it does indeed open it with that older version.
I used Spotlight to look for VLC and it only shows one copy in Applications.
Any ideas on how to get rid of that older choice?

You may need to reset your Launch Services to remove the straggler from your "Open With" choices.

Run a search through these discussions on how to do this under Leopard - at the moment, I only know how to do this under Tiger and Panther.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Feb 6, 2008 3:05 PM in response to Steve A.

This is what fixed it, copy the below text into the Script Editor and then run it. It fixed my problem.

display dialog "The Finder must quit and will relaunch after the Launch Services rebuild is complete. The rebuild may take several minutes, during which time you should refrain from using any other apps." buttons {"Cancel", "Rebuild LS Database"} default button 2 with icon caution
ignoring application responses
tell application "Finder"
delay 2
quit
end tell
end ignoring
delay 5
tell application "System Events" to set running applications to get name of every application process
if running applications contains "Finder" then do shell script "killall Finder"
do shell script "/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.fr amework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user"
tell application "Finder"
delay 2
activate
end tell
tell me to activate
display dialog "The Launch Services rebuild is now complete." buttons {"OK"} default button 1 with icon note

Two versions of VLC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.