5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2008 2:46 PM by Link69
Michael Sullivan Level 1 Level 1 (55 points)
I have VLC installed and I updated it to the newest version (0.8.6d). I previously had version 0.8.6c installed.
When I click on a media file and try and open it using "open with" I am presented with both choices of VLC.
If I choose to open with version 0.8.6c it does indeed open it with that older version.
I used Spotlight to look for VLC and it only shows one copy in Applications.
Any ideas on how to get rid of that older choice?

<Edited by Moderator>

Intel iMac 17", Mac OS X (10.5)
  • George Peters Level 4 Level 4 (3,165 points)
    Do you still have the installer image on the desktop? Once VLC is open go up the the VLC menu and click about VLC and see which version it is.

George
  • Steve A. Level 3 Level 3 (590 points)
    Michael Sullivan wrote:
    I have VLC installed and I updated it to the newest version (0.8.6d). I previously had version 0.8.6c installed.
    When I click on a media file and try and open it using "open with" I am presented with both choices of VLC.
    If I choose to open with version 0.8.6c it does indeed open it with that older version.
    I used Spotlight to look for VLC and it only shows one copy in Applications.
    Any ideas on how to get rid of that older choice?

You may need to reset your Launch Services to remove the straggler from your "Open With" choices.

Run a search through these discussions on how to do this under Leopard - at the moment, I only know how to do this under Tiger and Panther.

Hope this helps,
    Steve
  • Michael Sullivan Level 1 Level 1 (55 points)
    This is what fixed it, copy the below text into the Script Editor and then run it. It fixed my problem.

display dialog "The Finder must quit and will relaunch after the Launch Services rebuild is complete. The rebuild may take several minutes, during which time you should refrain from using any other apps." buttons {"Cancel", "Rebuild LS Database"} default button 2 with icon caution
    ignoring application responses
    tell application "Finder"
    delay 2
    quit
    end tell
    end ignoring
    delay 5
    tell application "System Events" to set runningapplications to get name of every application process
    if runningapplications contains "Finder" then do shell script "killall Finder"
    do shell script "/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.fr amework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user"
    tell application "Finder"
    delay 2
    activate
    end tell
    tell me to activate
    display dialog "The Launch Services rebuild is now complete." buttons {"OK"} default button 1 with icon note
  • Steve A. Level 3 Level 3 (590 points)
    Michael Sullivan wrote:
    This is what fixed it, copy the below text into the Script Editor and then run it. It fixed my problem.

Glad to have helped!

Steve
  • Link69 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I have problems playing dvd's in it. The "controler" shows up, but the image doesen't. When I press play it will seem it is about to start working, but then it doesen't.
    Help Please!