Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't mount sparseimage! Stuck between two bugs?

A while ago my home directory did not automatically decrypt and mount when logging in. All my personal settings were "gone" and so was all my files. I have seen that others have had this problem as well.
It did not take long to figure out that file vault for some reason had not been able to decrypt my account. When I tried to open it by clicking on it I was asked for the password but when entered I got a "warning" saying "The following disk images failed to mount" "Image: andreaspousette.sparseimage" "Reason: no mountable file systems".
Then I moved the file to an external Fire Wire drive and tried again with the same result.
After that I have tried to mount the sparseimage in Disk Utility and it appears to decrypt the file (it's now called andreaspousette but it is gray) but I am still unable to get to my files since the image is "to big" to mount.
It seems like I am stuck between to bugs. On one hand File Vault is unable to decrypt my home directory (due to a lack of space?) but I can't delete or move files unless I can get to them, which I can't since Disk Utility think the file is to big...
What can I do? The original sparseimage file is 25.22 GB and I am running 10.3.9 on an iMac G4 and 10.3 (I was grasping after straws and re-installed the original system) on the iBook where the problem originates from. I have the sparseimage file in two copies on two separate external drives.
Can someone please tell me what to do!

Posted on Sep 24, 2005 9:34 AM

3 replies

Oct 22, 2005 7:21 PM in response to Andreas Pousette

hey andreas,
sory can't help you....
facing an almost identical problem only: I cant even save the sparseimage to an external harddrive and my mounting error is an "input-output error",
dikutility is not able to read it at all. though it does never tell me it would be too big (25.1gb)

I have tried so many forums and could not find any help there...
please let me know if you got any further with this!!!!

miriam

Can't mount sparseimage! Stuck between two bugs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.