Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to download new copy of Safari 3?

I received Safari 3.0 as part of my 10.4.11 security update. I got a fresh copy of Safari 2.0.4 because a bug in Safari 3.0 prevented one of my most-used Web apps from working properly in it. Now my copy of Safari 3.0 is corrupted, and I want to get a new copy of it. The Apple pages that I can find on this subject tell me that I can get Safari 3.0 from the security update, but Software Update won't reload the security update. Can someone point me to a URL whence I can download Safari 3 as a standalone piece of software?

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Feb 7, 2008 7:59 AM

16 replies

Feb 7, 2008 8:20 AM in response to Robert Grossman

Hi

To install Safari 3.0.4 you'll need the 10.4.11 Combo Update. Also, you'll need Pacifist to open the Combo Update. Inside, you'll find a replacement copy for your existing Safari 3.

Steps to take:
First, if you haven't done so, move to the trash Safari 3.0.4 from your HD>Applications folder.
Next, open Pacifist
Once open, select "Open Package" and Navigate to the Combo Update, selecting it.
Then in the top part of the open panel, select "extract to" navigating to your HD>Applications folder.

Once installed, go to your Utilities folder, opening Disk Utility. Highlight your HD on the left and "Repair permissions".

Feb 7, 2008 11:29 AM in response to Hawaiian_Starman

Thank you, your instructions worked. Unfortunately, the new copy of Safari 3.0.4 that I extracted has exactly the same problem that the previous version did: When I try to open it, I get a message that says, You cannot open the application "Safari 3.0" because it may be damaged or incomplete. Do I need to get rid of my copy of Safari 2.0.4 (I don't want to do) for Safari 3.0.4 to work?

Feb 7, 2008 6:06 PM in response to Robert Grossman

Hmmm. I'm wondering if the problem with Safari goes beyond the application into the OS X WebKit files?

Nothing else really to delete. Insert your Installer DVD and restart. Hold down the C key until it starts booting. After the Installer fully loads, select Disk Utility in the Utilities menu. Then, highlight your HD and select "repair disk". If there are any errors, rerun until you get a clean pass.

Post back

Feb 8, 2008 5:13 PM in response to Hawaiian_Starman

I did as you suggested. The disk was clean when I verified it, so I did no repairs.

Here's another piece of information that I didn't mention earlier: The icon showing for Safari 3 is the generic application icon, not the ship's wheel that I see for Safari 2.0.4 and that I saw for Safari 3 when it was first downloaded (before I went back to Safari 2).

Feb 8, 2008 8:18 PM in response to Robert Grossman

Hi

Are you referring to the Icon in the dock? If so, remove it by dragging it off the dock.

Next, reapply the 10.4.11 Combo Update. Do not use the computer during the Installation. After the automatic restart, "repair permissions" etc. Then. go to your Applications folder, single-click on Safari.app and drag it to the dock, creating a new icon. Select the icon to open Safari.

Post back

Feb 9, 2008 8:03 PM in response to Robert Grossman

Hi

From your various descriptions it seems there is something fundamentally wrong with the OS that goes beyond Safari. Are you having problems with any other application or computer function? If you are, I suggest you reinstall the OS using the Archive and Install method. Once installed, you would run the 10.4.11 Combo Update to bring OS X up to the most recent version.

Let me know if you haven't run an Archive/Install before, as I can offer some suggestions. The alternative would be to make an appointment at the Genius Bar if you live near an Apple Store. Someone there can assist you with the A & I.

Post back

Feb 10, 2008 6:24 AM in response to Hawaiian_Starman

No, I am not having any problems with any programs other than Safari 3. Safari 2 works fine, as do Firefox and Netscape, as does every other program I run (from Apple, Microsoft, and many others). I see no evidence that anything is wrong with my OS.

My own instinct is that after I did the original 10.4.11 Combo Update, then downloaded a fresh copy of Safari 2 and began using it, that Safari 2 altered some files that were essential for Safari 3, so that Safari 3 can't access them anymore. (Although that doesn't explain why I was unable to use Safari 3 after reinstalling it. Perhaps the reinstall failed to alter the files back.) But I am unwilling to trash my Safari files just to get Safari 3 to work, when Safari 2 works fine. The only reason I was wanting Safari 3 was to see we had successfully programmed a workaround for the Safari 3 Javascript bug that prompted me to downgrade to Safari 2 in the first place. I am also extremely hesitant to reinstall the entire OS just to fix this one minor problem.

Unfortunately, I live in a state that has no Apple store.

I am very grateful for all your help, but unless you or someone else can think of some less drastic things to try, I think I will continue to drive this car without repairing the broken rear defroster.

Feb 10, 2008 8:21 AM in response to Robert Grossman

My own instinct is that after I did the original 10.4.11 Combo Update, then downloaded a fresh copy of Safari 2 and began using it, that Safari 2 altered some files that were essential for Safari 3, so that Safari 3 can't access them anymore. (Although that doesn't explain why I was unable to use Safari 3 after reinstalling it. Perhaps the reinstall failed to alter the files back.)

Now I understand the problem. And it's not "minor". Safari 2 and Safari 3 are very different applications. Each integrates with other Apple applications (Mail, iTunes, iChat etc). Your actions have complicated/compromised the OS, which may lead to other problems as you continue to use the computer. 10.4.11 is designed to run Safari 3, not 2.

As I suggested in the previous post, best approach is to reinstall the OS. Archive/Install will preserve your present settings, plus create a new folder called "Previous Systems Folder". Inside, you'll find your 3rd party Library items, which you can move to the newly created Libraries. The remainder of the files in that folder can be trashed. If you haven't done so, read the linked article about A/I. Also, if you rather use Safari 2, then after the reinstall, only upgrade to 10.4.10, using this update.

Let me know how you make out.

Feb 10, 2008 4:49 PM in response to Robert Grossman

I am not sure how to write good instructions on this so I will throw it out for anyone to comment on.

There is a receipts cache in OS X that keeps track of all your downloaded and installed updates. Every time you try to find a download of an update you already have installed you will probably have a problem.

I think the key is to "trick" your Mac into thinking the update has not been installed. This is done by removing the update in question from the receipts cache.

Maybe someone has the correct procedure out there.

how to download new copy of Safari 3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.