Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air Camera Quality slow/Foggy

In Photo booth the Quality of the built in camera is not very clear and it lags about 2 secs of what I'm actully doing.

Anyone experience the same thing?

Cheers
Gary

Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Feb 8, 2008 8:16 PM

11 replies

Feb 8, 2008 9:08 PM in response to Smirky

Hmmm....

Well--AppleInsider had given a review of the MBA one thing they mentioned was that the iSight camera was of a lower quality compared to the iSight cameras on other MacBooks or MacBook Pros. It's been discussed in a few threads at least:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1380128&tstart=30
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1380159&tstart=30
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1378316&tstart=45

Not sure about the lagging you're experiencing, but folks are basically in agreement--the images captured by the iSight camera are "softer" than images captured by other MacBooks/MacBook Pro's.

Feb 9, 2008 9:22 AM in response to Smirky

Well...I think only Apple knows for sure because it just says the MBA has an iSight camera but conveniently doesn't mention what its exact resolution is in the tech specs. AppleInsider guessed the resolution might've been around 0.3, if I remember right? Or else--I think AppleInsider said that other ultraportables or thin/light notebooks typically either don't have an integrated camera at all, or they have a low-quality 0.3 megapixel one, and Apple seems to have followed suit with the iSight camera built into the MBA.

Feb 10, 2008 1:48 PM in response to Smirky

Odd...then apparently the MBA's iSight camera has a 1.3 megapixel camera too? But why does the picture/video quality look bad, then? What else is going on here--and can any of it be fixed/improved with future software/firmware updates, maybe? I don't want to jump to conclusions just yet, but this iSight issue is reminding me of the "negative black" phenomenon associated with week 36/37 iPod touches. By the time I got my "week 38" iPod touch, Apple had put out a firmware update of some kind that helped improve picture quality and get rid of the negative black phenomenon that people were talking about. It made some folks happy and other folks, well...not so happy...because there was evidence that suggested there was a physical problem with those first two batches of iPod touches and what those people wanted was a replacement iPod touch, not a firmware update, to fix devices that had physical problems, not programming/software ones.

I know this case is different--I'm assuming that there's nothing physically wrong with the iSight camera in the first MBA's that folks have gotten, and the resolution of the MBA's iSight camera is what it should be--but yeah. Can't help thinking back to that "negative black" issue anyway. 😟

Macbook Air Camera Quality slow/Foggy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.