Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting my iMac to my TV

Hi

The selection of the correct adapter cable in the Apple store seems to be a bit hit-and-miss from the review I've read, so I thought someone might be able to point me to the right cable:

I'd like a cable to go from the Mini-DVI output port on my new aluminium iMac to the composite input ports on my TV (no HD TV for me!). A link to the right cable in the Apple store would be great (and please let me know if you've had any experience doing this yourself - I assume this will allow me to mirror my iMac screed on my TV screen - although they do have different aspect ratios...).

Thanks!

24" Aluminium iMac, 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Feb 8, 2008 9:30 PM

4 replies

Feb 8, 2008 10:06 PM in response to poddster

Hi poddster

Yes that is the correct Mini-DVI to Video adapter, and an S-Video cable (TV willing) will give you a better picture than RCA (Composite) connection.

For the Audio you can pick-up an adapter at any electronics' outlet, see an example adapter in the link below:

[Cables to Go / 3.5mm to RCA Stereo Adapter|http://www.nextag.com/Cables-to-Go-Mini-87727346/prices-html?nxtg=10c4e 0a24051e-A3F9D6FEEE79567F]

3.5mm end into the iMac's output jack and stereo RCA audio cables from the other end to the TV's Audio input. Also note: that a jack plugged into the iMac's output jack will disable it's internal speakers.

Dennis

Feb 8, 2008 10:59 PM in response to poddster

Your welcome!

It is great for watching DVD movies, iMovies, Q-Time, iPhoto Slideshows, etc. and FrontRow (when in mirrored mode)

Here is another article:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303086

It explains the difference in running the setup in Mirrored or Extended Desktop, I mostly run in Extended Desktop for reasons stated in the "Resolutions" section of the article.

+When the computer is mirroring video, it tries to synchronize the resolution of the built-in and external displays. If they can't be matched, the computer will change the resolution of both screens to the highest common resolution which may cause areas of the built-in display to be blacked out.+

In plain english, mirroring goofs with your iMac's resolution.

Enjoy...

Connecting my iMac to my TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.