Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod classic Gapless Playback

I'm trying to figure out how gapless playback works on my iPod classic. I have it set up in iTunes correctly and it plays fairly decently, but on the iPod it doesn't do anything. Am I doing anything wrong? Is there a setting on the iPod that will allow me to enable gapless playback?

Custom built PC, Windows XP Pro, iPod classic 160GB, Bose in-ear headphones (44437), iPod Shuffle 512MB

Posted on Feb 9, 2008 4:33 PM

7 replies

Feb 9, 2008 5:43 PM in response to SithLordDarth

It might not work on tracks done before gapless arrived in itunes
(someone else might know if this is right as I re-did all mine)
I used to rip them as one big track
Then I did them again when gapless was added , nightmare
All I can suggest is 'select all' in library , select gapless and let machine get thru them all
Then send them to ipod again and see

Feb 10, 2008 12:53 AM in response to SithLordDarth

After importing an album, and having set the gap between tracks in iTunes preferences to none, iTunes automatically analyzes each track for gapless playback information. Not all album tracks need it as most have definite end points. Gapless playback is not another way of saying your tracks are now all merged, that's when you use crossfade. Gapless is for albums that have tracks that segue into the next so that you can listen to it as the artist intended you to: Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, Madonna's Confessions on a Dance Floor, are some examples of where this works well.

iPod classic Gapless Playback

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.